E-M:/ Reminder: Tour de Sprawl IV heading our way

Enviro-Mich message from Karlin Mai Danielsen <danielse@engin.umich.edu>

Note: there is not rain date, so come rain or shine.

Friends,

There is a lot we can do about the sprawl that is devastating our local
landscape. Fortunately, some of these things are a whole lot of fun.

For example, the 4th Annual Tour de Sprawl is coming up on Saturday,
September 23rd.

This year's Tour will be a bicycle and bus trip through 19 miles of scenic
rural countryside.  We'll learn about how we can deal with growth
pressures in an area with some of the finest farms and open space in
Washtenaw County. At frequent stops, experts will discuss good and bad
examples of development and comment on the governmental tools available to
manage growth.

The pace will be relaxed; cyclists can hop on the bus if they're bushed.
You can also take the bus for the whole tour. At the end of the
Tour we'll kick back and enjoy a live bluegrass band, good food, and the
fine company of fellow Tour participants. Not enough fun yet? The first 70
people to pre-register will get a free Tour de Sprawl t-shirt.

Registration begins at 9:30 a.m. on September 23rd at the Webster Town
Hall. The Town Hall is northwest of Ann Arbor on Webster Church Road, 1/2
mile south of North Territorial Road. Pre-registration is required for bus
riders ($7) and highly encouraged for cyclists ($3 in advance or $5 the
day of the Tour).  The pre-registration deadline is September 15th.  The
Tour will cover gravel roads so mountain and hybrid
bikes are recommended. Helmets are required.

To pre-register or to get more information on the Tour see
http://tour.yi.org, or call Erica Perry at (734) 449-2825.

See you at Tour de Sprawl IV.

-------------------------------------

4th Annual Tour de Sprawl Sponsors:

APRON (Association for the Preservation of Rural Open Neighborhoods) of
       Webster Township
Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group
Sierra Club-Mackinac Chapter
Southeast Michigan Land Conservancy
Detroit Audubon Society
Washtenaw Audubon Society
Michigan Farm Bureau
Michigan Farmland and Community Alliance
Michigan Association of Conservation Districts
Rural Development Council of Michigan
Cousins Heritage Inn
Professional Landscape Services
HKP Landscape Architects
Merchant of Vino
Village Animal Clinic of Dexter
Gary and Annie Hannan of the Eastern Michigan University Biology Department