E-M:/ A race to save Maine woods

Enviro-Mich message from Smileysmlc@aol.com

Here's an interesting article from the Boston Globe about efforts to save the
north woods in Maine.  In part:  "Almost one-third of the state's 15
million-acre north woods, stretching from the Allagash River to Moosehead
Lake, have gone on the auction block in the last two years."

The dilemma facing Maine is the same facing Michigan:  large blocks of forest
land are being sold off by timber companies.  It was just a few short years
ago that over 30,000 acres near Rogers City were put up for sale by a timber
company--for only $200/acre.  This was the largest private land holding in
the lower Peninsula, yet the Michigan DNR did nothing to secure this
important forest area.  I see that this land is now being subdivided into
recreational parcels at greatly inflated prices.    What a lost opportunity!

When will our state "leaders" start doing something positive to protect
Michigan's land resources?
-Jack Smiley

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/262/nation/A_race_to_save_Maine_woods+.shtml