E-M:/ Stream Search 2000

Enviro-Mich message from "wmeac water2" <wmeacwater2@hotmail.com>

West Michigan Environmental Action Council needs you!

WMEAC STREAM SEARCH 2000

FALL LEADER TRAINING: OCTOBER 7, SATURDAY, 8:30 A.M.-3 P.M.

FALL STREAM SEARCH EVENT DAY: OCTOBER 14, SATURDAY 8 A.M.-12 NOON
(Rain Date: October 28, Satuday)

WMEAC and the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality have teamed up to
make a health check on Kent County Streams and rivers. The scientific data
that the Stream Search volunteers collect will give us valuable information
on the condition of our local streams.

When rivers and streams are healthy, the area is likely to be healthy for
people, too. At a time when our streams are being heavily affected  by
changes in land use, it is critical for us to keep a close eye on them.

There are two ways you can participate in STREAM SEARCH 2000:

1. You can be a team leader. Leaders are trained in stream assessment
techniques. Each trained leader will be assigned a group of volunteers on
sampling day, October 14, to take to a predetermined location. Team leaders
must attend a minimum of one training session per season.

Fall leader training will be:
October 7, Saturday, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. (bring a brown bag lunch) at the Izaak
Walton League Conservation Center, Cannon Township (Meyers Lake Rd. near
Cannonsburg Rd.).

2. You can be a volunteer. We need your help to gather information about our
streams! Volunteers assist the team leaders in collecting scientific
information in our streams. You can just show up and help, wading in streams
wearing WMEAC's waders and catching creatures in nets. Stream Search events
begin and end in Riverside Park in Grand Rapids (North of Leonard on Monroe
Ave.).

The Fall 2000 Stream Search event will be:
October 14, Saturday, 8 a.m.-12 noon (rain date October 28).

If you can help us out as either a team leader or as a volunteer, please get
back to me with which role you would like!

Respond with name, mailing address, phone, fax, work phone, and email.

Thanks!

Patricia

Patricia J. Pennell
Adopt-A-Stream Coordinator
West Michigan Environmental Action Council
1514 Wealthy SE, Suite 280
Grand Rapids, Michigan 49506
phone 616-451-5031
fax 616-451-5034