Re: E-M:/ HUD E-Maps -- find out about your community's enviro issues

Enviro-Mich message from Geoffrey Habron <habrong@msu.edu>

Greetings!  The following message currently appears at the site:

OUR APOLOGIES

                      Due to the overwhelming response to the national news
story about HUD
                      E-MAPS, visitors to this site are experiencing
substantial delays. Until we
                      solve the problem, we suggest that you visit the U.S.
Environmental
                      Protection Agency's EnviroMapper.

                      We sincerely regret any inconvenience you experienced
with HUD
                      E-MAPS.

At 05:20 PM 9/25/2000 -0700, anne.woiwode@sfsierra.sierraclub.org wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from anne.woiwode@sfsierra.sierraclub.org
>
>      I have no idea whether this works easily, but it seems like a terrific
>      idea!  Anne Woiwode
>

>U.S Housing & Urban Development Office UNVEILS new
>HUD E-MAPS
>
>  September 18, 2000
>
>WASHINGTON - Saying that informed decisions are
>the best decisions, Housing and Urban Development
>Secretary Andrew Cuomo today unveiled a new
>application on HUD's website that will help people
>learn about environmental matters that affect
>their communities throughout the U.S.
>
>Need to know if the Environmental Protection
>Agency is monitoring a site near a home you want
>to buy? Or what federal resources can be marshaled
>to redevelop an abandoned factory or to protect a
>wetland in your town? Or want to know if there are
>any environmental hazards that your child walks by
>on the way to school?
>
>Thanks to HUD E-MAPS, which was created by
>marrying HUD's Community 2020TM software to EPA
>databases, the answers to these and thousands of
>other questions are now just a few mouse clicks
>away.
>
>The web address is www.hud.gov/emaps
>
>Through HUD E-MAPS we're providing people with
>detailed, site-specific information about what the
>government is doing to protect the environment or
>promote community and economic development, Cuomo
>said. Residents, advocacy organizations, local
>governments and others will now have easy access
>to data they need to have informed conversations
>and to make smart decisions about the future of
>their communities.
>
>Joining Cuomo at today's launch were environmental
>activist and model Christie Brinkley; Denis Hayes,
>organizer of Earth Day and President of the
>Bullitt Foundation; and Greg Wetstone, director of
>programs, National Resources Defense Council.
>Denis Hayes said: Parents everywhere wonder
>whether their children's drinking water is
>polluted, and few of us know what's buried in our
>backyards. HUD E-MAPS will bring such information
>to everyone - including those in the nation's
>poorest neighborhoods. Information is power, and
>HUD E-MAPS is designed to give new power to people
>who cannot afford high-priced lawyers to protect
>their children from environmental assaults.
>
>Greg Wetstone said: HUD E-MAPS has the potential
>to be a real asset to the environmental community
>and citizens around the country who are concerned
>about what's happening environmentally in their
>neighborhoods. We're delighted that Secretary
>Cuomo and HUD are launching this initiative and we
>welcome it.
>
>Carl Pope, executive director of the Sierra Club
>said: "The information contained on HUD E-MAPS
>will help communities plan smarter and healthier
>neighborhoods. Families have the right to know
>about the quality of their environment. By
>providing valuable environmental information mixed
>with housing information and population data, you
> [...]

Geoffrey Habron			Assistant Professor, Michigan State University
Department of Fisheries and Wildlife	Department of Sociology
13 Natural Resources Building		316 Berkey Hall
East Lansing, MI 48824		East Lansing, MI 48824
517-432-8086 voice			517-355-6639 voice
517-432-1699 fax			517-432-2856 fax
habrong@msu.edu
http://www.msu.edu/~habrong