E-M:/ re: THe huron Manistee

Anne,

Why do you fail to mention the National Sierra Club policy of End Commercial
Logging (ECL)?

Mr. Ambrose's suggestions are totally consistent with what forest activists
should be doing, and these forests belong to ALL Americans.  Your effort to
marginalize Mr. Ambrose or his message by suggesting he is "afar" is not the
kind of team effort we need to continue the battle to stop the logging and
destruction of biodiversity in our public lands. While it is unfortunate that
the Mackinaw is out of step with the rest of the conservation community on
National Forests, please do not denegrate the work of others who are actually
making progress in the forest battle.

Regards to blowdown in HMNF, you fail to mention why these blowdowns are
happening.  Continued conversion of forests to tree farms will always create
conditions for "blowdowns." Is it yours and Sierra Clubs (Mackinaw) position
to support salvage logging??

What do you mean by "this forest needs less of the blunt instrument approach
that is necessary in many other forests."  This does not make any sense to me
and provides us with no context whatsoever. Could you tell us what you mean?

Anne writes: "With any luck the new forest plan process may officially be
underway sometime soon, and your comments are essential on that, since that
sets the overall management of this forest for the next 10 to 15 years."

You seem to contradict yourself by now suggesting IT IS essential to "make a
point of reading the NEPA quarterly for the HMNF, looking at acres being cut
and commenting.." If one does not do these basic things, their comments will
not be informed.  Doing the day in and day out work of monitoring a timber
program does not compare with showing up for two meetings a year. And, not
all of us are paid so well to do the earths work as you, and cannot always be
at meetings while holding down real jobs or simply having the resources to do
so.  In fact, the meetings the FS and Sierra Club are so fond of, are not a
measure of one's success as a conservationist.

Anne, how can you be so discouraging/cynical to someone who is actually
participating in the "process?"  Maybe Mr. Ambrose is helping out on the HMNF
because activists in Indiana have pretty much stopped all logging in their
National Forest.  You should listen and learn from them.

Murray Dailey