Re: E-M:/ Ann Arbor Railroad

Enviro-Mich message from Andrew Mutch <amutch@waterford.lib.mi.us>

I'll second Jack's comments -- this sound like "par for the course" as developers
operate.  If you are looking for an "underlying" motive -- here's a few:

Buying out surrounding property owners eliminates potential sources of opposition
in several ways:

1) Under state law, I believe, rezonings "under protest", where 20% of the
adjacent property owners file written letters of protest, require a supermajority
for approval.  Remove the neighbors and you lessen that potential.

2)  The Boards that approve/deny rezonings [Township Boards, Zoning Board of
Appeals] are typically more inclined to deny rezonings that are opposed by persons
directly affected by the rezoning.  They tend to give less weight to opposition
from people not adjacent to the property.

3)  Fewer neightbors means less people who can get become a party to a lawsuit in
opposition -- they are playing legal games here too.

Andrew Mutch
Novi