Re: E-M:/ Ann Arbor Railroad

Enviro-Mich message from "Aretta Schils" <squaw@provide.net>

Hello Andrew,

I guess I didn't say things right in my original post.

> Buying out surrounding property owners eliminates potential sources of
opposition
> in several ways: <<

 The project developer is not buying the adjoining property but only the
properties on the <inside> perimeter of their development and will be part
of their project. Their property will still be only 100 feet from ours and
others front doors. They plan on building what we call the 15 ft  "Miracle
Berm" because they seem to think it will protect the neighbors from noise,
light and diesel pollution. Math must be different today than it was when I
was in grade school because I can't figure out how a 15ft berm is going to
stop the light from their 90 ft lights :)

>>1) Under state law, I believe, rezonings "under protest", where 20% of the
> adjacent property owners file written letters of protest, require a
supermajority
> for approval.  <<

That's interesting and news to me.  The Board vote was 3-2 for approval even
tho almost all of us wrote letters of protest.

>> 3)  Fewer neighbors means less people who can get become a party to a
lawsuit in
> opposition -- they are playing legal games here too. <<

Then they sure messed up big time here cause they didn't option any of the
adjoining pieces of property and there are sure enough of us against this.

One important factor in this development is that it is on a township border.
When the referendum took place <only> Milan township could vote.  Had this
side of the road, London Township, been able to vote, the veto would have
had a much, much larger margin.

In the two townships Master Plans both adjoining sides are zoned
Agricultural and Residential.  If Milan rezones this to Industrial, it will
be in direct conflict with Michigan Compiled law which says that entities
must be compatible with adjoining entities. Milan amended their Master Plan
to accommodate one developer. This also smacks of spot zoning as surrounding
properties are agricultural and there would be no contiguous Industrial
zones. This development is on the east side of the township whereas their
Industrial zoning is on the north side adjoining Milan City Industrial
zoning. And also city sewer and water could become accessible in that spot
where there is none available anywhere near the property trying to be
rezoned.

To me, it would be like Sitting Bull trying to pitch his tent in the middle
of Custer's encampment or vice versa.

Thanks
Aretta