E-M:/ House to vote within the hour. Call on CARA NOW!

Enviro-Mich message from "DAVID ROSS" <ROSS@nwf.org>

** High Priority **

NATIONAL WILDLIFE FEDERATION E-MAIL ALERT       10/3/00

The House will begin voting on the Interior Appropriations bill within the next hour or so.  NOW is the time to CALL and urge your Representative to oppose the "rule" on the Interior Appropriations bill, H.R. 4578 that says that HR4578 must be voted on in its entirety without any amendments and to oppose any substitute for CARA.    When you call you can make these specific points:

>>Only CARA guarantees long-term funding for land and wildlife conservation.  The "Lands Trust" proposal in the Appropriations Bill is not mandatory and does not guarantee annual spending.

>>CARA would provide $3 billion annually, including $350 million to handle a back log of state wildlife conservation needs.  The "Lands Trust" proposal in the Appropriations Bill does not provide adequate funding for our nation's many conservation needs, and spends only $50 million for wildlife in this fiscal year.

>>CARA has broad bipartisan support.  The House of Representative voted for CARA by a 3-1 margin; 63 Senators, all the nation's governors and over 5,000 citizen organizations support the bill.

You can reach your Representative by calling the Capitol Hill Switchboard at 202-224-3121, using a direct line if that is busy,  or  through the web at http://congress.nw.dc.us/nwf/congdir.html.

Please send this email to10 friends and colleagues and ask them to call their Representatives immediately -- time is of the essence.

Thanks,

Dave Ross, Regional Organizer
Michigan, Ohio and Indiana

PLEASE LET NWF KNOW YOU TOOK ACTION BY REPLYING TO THIS E-MAIL MESSAGE (LEAVE THE SUBJECT LINE INFORMATION INTACT).

IMPORTANT REMINDERS:

*If you contact your lawmaker via e-mail, make sure you include your full name and mailing address in the message.

*For more information about conservation issues and how you can help, visit the nwf web site at www.nwf.org.

National Wildlife Federation, 8925 Leesburg Pike, Vienna, VA  22184
1-800-822-9919