E-M:/ "Appaled by Sprawl" Postcards

Enviro-Mich message from Karlin Mai Danielsen <danielse@engin.umich.edu>

Dear Friends,
I received a number of requests for the "Appalled by Sprawl" postcards
distributed at the 4th Annual Tour de Sprawl in Webster Township.  The
postcards advocate for "anti-sprawl" measures and are directed at Governor
Engler and township supervisors (see text below).  I am willing to share
them with anyone who would like to make copies of their own.  You can turn
the MS Word 2000 file into postcards by printing it double sided on heavy
cardstock.  Just send me you address and I will send you a copy of the
files.

The postcards were generated by myself and Tour co-organizer Erica Perry
of APRON.  We also incorporated input from Jack Smiley of the Southeast
Michigan Land Conservancy, Doug Cowherd of the Sierra Club-Huron Valley
Group and Candace Stoughton of the Nitty Gritty Bike Band.

Have fun with them,
Sincerely,
Karlin Danielsen
Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

Dear Governor Engler,
As a voting resident of Michigan, I am deeply concerned about the loss of
farmland, natural areas and open spaces due to sprawl.  Please work to
institute the following programs: (check all that apply):
O	Develop a real commitment to preserve the natural resources and
water quality in Michigan
O	Fund an effective State-wide purchase of development rights
program
O	Preserve a future for farming with real agricultural zoning
O	Fix our roads, don't build new ones
O	Make sure our taxes don't subsidize developers' profits
O	Create affordable housing alternatives to mobile home parks
O	Revitalize existing communities
O	Foster cooperation between townships to manage growth
O	Require local communities to prepare comprehensive land-use plans
O	___________________________________________________

Signed____________________________________________________
Name and address (printed): ____________________________________

Dear Supervisor _________________,
As a voting resident of _________________ Township, I would like to see
our master plan and zoning ordinances include (check all that apply):
O	Preserving a future for farming with real agricultural zoning and
low population density
O	Making sure our taxes don't subsidize developers' profits
O	Developing a regional approach to better withstand lawsuits
O	Taking stock of our natural features through annual inventories
O	Create a creek group to consult on proposed development impact
O	Creating green belts with native vegetation along lakes, streams
and wetlands  (25 ft minimum)
O	Ordinances that regulate noise and light pollution
O	Fostering cooperation between townships to manage growth
O	Holding a Future Visioning Workshop for public input

Name and address (printed): __________________________________

Karlin Danielsen
danielse@engin.umich.edu
734-764-1667
Use what talents you possess. The woods would be very silent if no
birds sang there except those that sang the best.

                  ~ Henry Van Dyke ~
    (1852--1933, American Protestant Clergyman and Writer)