Re: E-M:/ FW: EN ALL - Full-Text Of MDEQ Press Release RelatedTo Michigan Environmental Council

Enviro-Mich message from "Bryan Harrison" <HARRISOB@state.mi.us>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 29, 2000
Contact: Ken Silfven
(517) 241-7397
Leaders of Michigan's environmental community should put aside political games and work constructively to address legitimate issues, Department of Environmental Quality Director Russell Harding said today in response to a draft election-year attack provided to the agency.
A document reportedly being prepared by the Michigan Environmental Council is intended to undermine the DEQ's credibility. A concerned environmentalist who is disappointed in the MEC's unfounded attacks leaked it to the DEQ. The so-called "report," tentatively titled "Dereliction of Duty," is filled with false and misleading claims about the agency's performance. MEC is expected to distribute a final version to the news media prior to the November election.
"We're unfortunately seeing a 'dereliction of truth' from leaders of this special-interest group," Harding said. "This document is filled with inaccuracies, half-truths and personal insults. Despite the DEQ's continued efforts to engage in reasonable discussions with MEC about relevant issues on which we can work together, its leadership apparently prefers to be a roadblock to environmental progress. That's a disservice to committed members of Michigan's environmental community and to our shared natural resources."
The DEQ has in fact compiled an impressive record of achievement since its creation in 1995. For example, the agency has:
			Placed a high priority on environmental enforcement by adding several criminal investigators and elevating that investigative team to full office status.
	Successfully implemented Gov. John Engler's ambitious brownfield redevelopment program, making Michigan a national leader.
	Emphasized the importance of clean water by bringing communities into compliance with combined sewer overflow and sanitary sewer overflow regulations.
	Been recognized nationally for its pollution prevention initiatives.
	Beefed up its wetlands permitting and enforcement staff.
	Worked with communities to bring Michigan into compliance with federal air-quality standards.
	Launched extensive outreach initiatives to include the public in environmental decision-making. Efforts include public meetings in communities statewide with the entire DEQ management team, and the publication of an annual report to provide factual information on the condition of Michigan's environment.
"I'm proud of our progress but recognize that the DEQ can't do it alone," Harding said. "That's why we would welcome a constructive partnership with the MEC. I encourage its leaders to stop standing on the sidelines and get in the game. There's a lot we can accomplish together. But falsehoods and personal attacks have no place in a serious discussion about Michigan's environmental policy."
#####

>>> "Miller, Gayle" <MILLERG@CLINTON-COUNTY.ORG> 10/03 1:29 PM >>>
Enviro-Mich message from "Miller, Gayle" <MILLERG@CLINTON-COUNTY.ORG>

The WIMS listserv just forwarded a press release from the DEQ criticizing
MEC's upcoming report about the shortcomings of the DEQ's performance.
Frankly, I think it's great news to know that the DEQ is already defending
itself - it appears that the DEQ is quite worried about the impact of this
report. There is a copyright notice on the press release, however the WIMS
web address is

http://www.lawsite.com/mwr/wimshome.html
<http://www.lawsite.com/mwr/wimshome.html>

I'm assuming that the press release can be located there in its entirety.
Otherwise, here is more contact info:

Environmental News & Information For 20 Years
Publishers of Michigan Waste Report
Jeff Dauphin, President
818 Avenue D, Traverse City, MI 49686-3532