E-M:/ Why I am voting for Al Gore

Enviro-Mich message from <anne.woiwode@sfsierra.sierraclub.org>

Another piece: AW

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your dedication to forest protection.  My name is Mark
Winstein, and I am the co-founder and former president of Save America's
Forests.  In June, I began coordinating the Forest Unity Network, an
initiative to unify grassroots and national environmental groups to achieve
broad protection for our National Forests by 2002.

On Tuesday, November 7, you will have the rare opportunity to choose the
president of the United States.  The last presidential race this close was
in 1960, where the margin of victory for John F. Kennedy was 1 vote per
precinct.  I am asking you recognize how powerful your one vote is in this
election, and to please elect Al Gore as your President.

Perhaps you are considering voting for another candidate, or not voting at
all.  Below are reasons that I think you and everyone who cares about
forests should vote for Al Gore.

Some people think that there will be no difference between Al Gore and George
W. Bush.  Ralph Nader makes this point often.  I appreciate the gifts Ralph
Nader has given America in the past.  He is one of the leaders who inspired me
to dedicate my life to protecting forests. And I sincerely appreciate his
efforts to create a new-long term vision for our country.

But saving our last wild and natural forests is a SHORT-TERM BATTLE.  I have
not been a big fan of the current administration, but the fact remains:
under Clinton-Gore, the total National Forest logging volume has dropped to
the lowest level since the 1930s.

If logging volumes return to the levels of the Reagan-Bush era, or even stay
steady, there simply wont be much of our forest heritage left come 2004 or
2008.  It is our job to create the impetus for action now.  I firmly believe
that with Al Gore as president, we will have our best chance (and perhaps
our last chance) to bring the logging volume down much, much more, rewrite
the mission of the Forest Service, and once and for all end a century of
devastation on our public lands while there are still wild forests left to
save.

Please remember:  not only will the next President appoint 5000 federal
administrators, he will add scores of new federal judges at every level.
The make-up of the various federal courts is critically important to all
environmental protection efforts.  With so much riding on each and every
single vote, I urge you to consider carefully, and understand the impact
your one vote will have on the future of this nation.

Please pass this message along to as many people as you can.  In addition,
if you would like to help in other ways to elect Al Gore, please write to
mwinstein@worldnet.att.net.

Thank you for reading this far.  If you still doubt the value of electing Al
Gore as President, please read on below.

Sincerely,

Mark Winstein
(co-founder and former president, Save America's Forests; coordinator
pro-tem, Forest Unity Network)
mwinstein@worldnet.att.net

Note:  This is a one-time mailing to friends, colleagues, and associates.  I
appreciate your taking the time to read my opinions.   If you would like to
receive future email from me on forests and politics, please send a blank
email to: Forest-Protection-subscribe@egroups.com.

=================================

President Kennedy said,  ask not what your country can do for you; ask
what you can do for your country.  The people receiving this letter are
leaders and doers, making the difference day in and day out for forests.  I
ask you to consider:  Which candidate will, as President, provide you with
the best opportunity for you to advance your work and achieve your dreams
over the next four years?

My personal commitment is that by 2002, America achieves a new level of
protection for our National Forests, including an end to the timber sale
program, protection for the last core areas of forest biodiversity, and the
establishment of a scientifically valid ecological restoration program for
the federal forestlands.

Regardless of who is elected, I will work to achieve these goals by 2002.
But as someone dedicated to forests, I want Al Gore to be our president.

Lets examine the commitments of the top three candidates:

AL GORE has committed to ending logging in roadless areas, old growth, and
the Tongass.  This would go beyond the current policies of the Clinton
administration. Despite numerous disappointments, the Clinton administration
has reduced overall logging levels on our National Forests to the lowest
volume since the 1930s.

GEORGE W. BUSH says he wants to INCREASE the cutting, reverse protections
granted under Clinton, and change our environmental laws.  I hope that I
will not have to fight against the cultivated ignorance of Governor Bush.

RALPH NADER knows the issues we care about.  But he is not proposing to win
this election. Rather, he is committed to building a third party that will
serve as watch dog over the other two, and reform the system over the long
term.

I am not inspired by the prospect of being a watch dog.  I have never
considered myself a watch dog, and no matter who is elected, I will never be
a watch dog.  I am a doer.

For those of you who are choosing between Gore and Nader, do you want to be
a watch dog, who watches while others make the decisions, or do you want to
lead and cause other leaders to get the job done for America?

In 1980, I voted for the independent John Anderson, who took some strong
environmental positions. It was an idealistic vote. Ronald Reagan was
elected.  President Reagan proceeded to mow down our public ancient forests
at the highest rate in history.  We will never regain what was lost as a
result of that election.

On the day I voted, I didnt know that during the previous 4 years under
President Carter, logging on the National Forests was being reduced to the
lowest level since the 1950s.  Reagan reversed that trend 180 degrees.  The
forests of my dreams were wiped out by that election.

I still remember how my close friend, the lead campus organizer for
Anderson, had a dramatic change of heart when he realized that a Reagan
victory was looming.  He abandoned Anderson and used every ounce of his
remaining energy to urge us to vote for Carter.  He was too late.

There are those who think that allowing George W. Bush to become president
would somehow be a good thing for forests because hell be a clear
adversary, and fighting against him will strengthen our movement.  I say, we
already learned how to fight clear adversaries under Reagan-Bush.  The
forest protection movement is already full of great fighters.

The next two years can be an opportunity to completely change the direction
of our National Forests.  Lets not go backwards.  Lets not fight the
battles of the past.  If our destiny is to fight, let us fight against every
force that would stop Al Gore from fulfilling his own promises and dreams.
Lets fight against fear, cynicism, and resignation.  Lets fight for honor,
integrity, boldness, and for the forests.

Lets put Al Gore in office, and fight to have his commitments become real,
now.  And lets inspire him through our action and leadership, and criticism
where necessary, to do even more.

To those of you who say it doesnt matter who is president, please think
ahead to the next four years, and ask yourself:  What will you be doing for
the country, and who do you want to be dealing with in government?  We are
not just electing a president, we are electing an entire administration. The
new president and his aides will appoint 5000 people to carry out the job of
governing this country, and will name scores of new federal judges at every
level who decide the fate of forests on a day to day basis.

I urge you to think long and hard about the impact of Gore versus Bush on the
judiciary.  Think about Scalia and Thomas, and a load of other judges, who
consistently read the constitution and statutes in such a way as to elevate
the rights of corporations and states at the expense of individuals and the
environment.  One of the most critical tools the environmental movement has
used to protect our natural wealth and heritage is the lawsuit, but without
judges willing to faithfully apply the law, and willing to hold the
bureaucracies' feet to the fire, we will not win those battles.  Even
assuming Gore and Bush were otherwise interchangeable, as Nader asserts  and
he is especially wrong when it comes to environmental issues  Gore with
decent judges may not be perfect, but Bush with awful judges would be
devastating.

Do you want a government where every effort to save forests will be thwarted
by administrators and judges who dont even know the basic facts about
ecology?  Or do you want a government that, along with plenty of
imperfections, resistance, and bumps along the way, holds the potential to
achieve your dreams?  Or do you just want to be a watch dog?

President Clinton has not achieved the things I hoped he would for forests,
namely implement the policies of the legislation Ive worked for a decade to
advance in Congress.  I fought against some of his actions with all my
strength, and criticized him publicly when I disagreed.  However, I have
been encouraged this year to see that he understands some of the great
environmental issues facing the planet, including the extinction crisis.
That is a base on which we can build.  Knowledge is the essential first step
toward action.  Gore knows the facts.  Think back in your own life when you
first discovered what was really happening to our National Forests, and the
actions you have taken since then.

To equate the future with Gore to the past with Clinton is to write off the
fact that these are two very different people, with different backgrounds
and commitments on the environment. Al Gore is his own man.  The presidency
changes people.  We will never know what Al Gore will do as president unless
we elect him on November 7.  We have waited 20 years to have the opportunity
to vote for a president who has the knowledge, commitments, and the
potential of Al Gore.  I say to you, vote for your own dreams, and your own
success in achieving the things you care about the most.  Vote with your
passion for forests. Vote for Al Gore.

Sincerely,

Mark Winstein
(co-founder and former president, Save America's Forests; coordinator
pro-tem, Forest Unity Network)
mwinstein@worldnet.att.net

Note:  This is a one-time mailing to friends, colleagues, and associates.  I
appreciate your taking the time to read my opinions.   If you would like to
receive future email from me on forests and politics, please send a blank
email to: Forest-Protection-subscribe@egroups.com.

VIRO-MICH:  Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental

=