Re: E-M:/ Nader Drop Out Campaign

Enviro-Mich message from Smileysmlc@aol.com

In a message dated 10/28/00, jamrag@glis.net writes:

<< You need to go back to Junior High civics class, and study a thing called

democracy. >>

Tom,

These issues are well beyond the Junior High mentality.  This is not about
"democracy", but about electoral college politics.  This is not about who you
personally like or don't like, but about who's policies will best take our
country in the direction which you feel appropriate.  This is also a "winner
take all" situation.

We may agree on many of the issues, but I strongly disagree with your
strategy.  You are NOT voting for Nader for President (since he has NO chance
of being elected), you are merely voting for him on the CHANCE that the Green
Party will get more money four years from now.  (How ironic is that?!)

In order to vote for Nader (unless you and Nader truly WANT Bush to get
elected, which is possible), you must be momentarily blinded about the stark
and immediate danger which we face.  We presently have a right-wing
Republican House, and a right-wing Republican Senate.  Couple that with a
Republican Presidency, a Republican Administration, and lifetime Republican
appointments to the Supreme Court and to the other federal courts...and you
have the prescription for long-term disaster.

Decisions made now will determine our destiny for many years to come.  The
future of our environment will be determined NOW...as will the future of our
government.   Even if laws were eventually passed to undo years of corporate
influence or to protect the environment, a Bush appointed Supreme Court would
be in a position to invalidate any such laws.

The United States government is largely based upon a system of checks and
balances.   Yet, if the right-wing faction controls the Republican Party, and
if the Republican Party also controls ALL BRANCHES of government...then the
right-wing will run roughshod over our entire government.  They will be able
to enact all of those anti-environmental riders and other such laws which are
now subject to a Presidential veto.

Every vote counts--especially in this election.  That is why I sincerely urge
those considering whether to vote for Nader to think long and hard about
their decision (forget about all the rhetoric and think about what your vote
will really do).  I also urge independents, moderate Republicans and
undecided Democrats to cast a vote for sensibility.  Even if moderate
Republicans don't like some of Gore's positions, the Senate and House will
keep him in check.  There will be no such constraint upon a Bush Presidency.

Please VOTE as if our future is at stake...because it is.  There has never
been an election in my lifetime in which the choice for a pro-environment
result was more clear.  Vice President Al Gore needs our support right now.
The battles to be fought in four years can be fought at that time.

Jack Smiley
(a staunch independent, from a Republican family, who cares not for
the Democratic Party, Republican Party, Reform Party or Green Party--
I just want to see sensible government which will protect the environment).

P.S.  I wouldn't term a vote for Nader a "wasted" vote, but it will
definitely help George Bush get elected.  If you don't realize that, at least
know that the Bush camp does, as reportedly they have sponsored some Gore
attack ads featuring Nader.  Divide and conquer is a common strategy in war
and in politics.  We should not allow ourselves to fall victim to a
self-inflicted strategy for defeat.