E-M:/ PRESS EVENT TODAY AT AMBASSADOR BRIDGE - TORONTO TRASH

Enviro-Mich message from "Jeff Surfus" <jeffsurfus@msn.com>

PRESS ADVISORY

WHO: A coalition of Michigan environmental groups, including NO WASTE, the
Ecology Center, the Michigan Environmental Council, Clean Water Action and
the Hamtramck Environmental Action Team (HEAT).

WHAT: Joint press event to highlight Michigan and U.S. inaction on waste
imports from Canada

WHEN: Monday, October 30, 2000, 12:30 PM --TODAY!!

WHERE: Foot of the Ambassador Bridge on the U.S. side

CONTACT:
Jeff Surfus, NO WASTE, Clean Water Action: 734 426-1984
Mary Beth Doyle, Ecology Center: 734 663-2400

Toronto is planning to send over 1.5 million tons of garbage each year to
the Arbor Hills and Carlton Farms landfills. More than 200 trucks a day
will be coming to two landfills in SE Michigan!

We will be in Detroit on Monday for a press event from 12:30 to 1:30 in
front of the Ambassador Bridge. Visuals include a giant Engler puppet
welcoming the trash in. Groups be demanding that the Engler/Harding
administration, as well as our State and Federal representatives, take
action on this!

We'll assemble in Detroit at the Matrix Theater at 2730 Bagley. From 96 or
75, take the Ambassador Bridge exit. Instead of going onto the bridge,
bear left, then take a left onto the Service Drive. After on block, take a
right onto Bagley. The theater is one block up on the right and there's
lots of parking on the street. We'll meet there, then walk the one block
to the bridge entrance.