From: owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
[mailto:owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net]On Behalf Of Fred Cowles
Sent: Monday, October 30, 2000 2:55 PM
To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Subject: E-M:/ Discharge Permit Backlog Eliminated

Enviro-Mich message from "Fred Cowles" <COWLESF@state.mi.us>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 18, 2000
Contact: Ken Silfven (517) 241-7397

The Department of Environmental Quality has completed a five-year program to
eliminate its backlog of expired wastewater permits, ensuring that
up-to-date environmental protection provisions are in place for all
discharges to Michigan's surface waters.

The DEQ program for eliminating the backlog of permits, formally known as
National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permits, began in
1995. At that time, 975 of the state's NPDES permits were expired, some for
more than 20 years.

This meant that about 60 percent of Michigan's wastewater dischargers did
not have up-to-date controls in place. Since then, these permits have been
systematically reissued in each watershed under the DEQ plan. NPDES permits
are issued to industrial and municipal dischargers.

"Keeping these permits current should be among the state's most fundamental
tasks," said DEQ Director Russell Harding. "But prior to the DEQ's creation
in 1995, years of neglect had prevented our surface waters from getting the
necessary protections provided by updated discharge permits. That was
unacceptable to Governor John Engler, who provided the leadership necessary
to get this problem squared away.

"Many states are now grappling with the same problem that Michigan faced
five years ago. Fortunately for Michigan, our emphasis on efficient
government and strong environmental protection is paying off. I am proud of
the men and women in DEQ's Surface Water Quality Division who have worked so
diligently to get this situation under control."

As of Sept. 30, only about 3 percent remained expired and most of those are
under enforcement action, which temporarily prevents reissuance.

Now that the backlog has been resolved, regular permit reissuance according
to the DEQ watershed plan is expected to prevent the problem from
reoccurring.

#####
Revised October 18, 2000 by Deb Miller
DEQ news releases are available on the department's Internet home page at
http://www.deq.state.mi.us

enviro-mich"