do. I think you know what we need to do. I would appreciate a comment.
Thank you
Jerry Renning

In a message dated 10/21/2000 7:24:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Jrenning@aol.com writes:

<< Subj:     Re: E-M:/ PEER Comments on Enforcement - Some Data
 Date:  10/21/2000 7:24:06 AM Eastern Standard Time
 From:  Jrenning@aol.com
 Sender:    owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
 To:    rohrert@state.mi.us, enviro-mich@great-lakes.net

 Enviro-Mich message from Jrenning@aol.com

 Tom Rohrert
 Tom thanks for the report, you are making progress, but is it enough? It is
 my understanding, that near Milan is London Sand Company, and they have a
 permit to dump 2 million gallons of water a day into the local stream. It is
 my understanding that the actual quantity has been measured at somewhere
 around 13 million gallons a day. Two of my customers have greenhouses 8-10
 hours of flow down stream from there. They both had to put in ponds. The
 water was doing strange things to their plants, especially during low rain,
 with high dumpage into the stream.

 Tom, there is reported to be only one worm alive for miles below the
 discharge. No other plants or fish or wildlife apparently could live in that
 high concentration discharge. This water eventually ends up in Lake Erie.
 Perhaps near a community's water source.

 If what I have shared is true, are we to be pleased with this kind of
 enforcement? Is this the only example?
 Tom, 2 million 154 thousand and change in fines. What was the cost of
running
 the Water Quality Enforcement Division? Could you ballpark those figures
 including overhead also, please. Where did the 2 Mil go? Did it go back into
 enforcement or the general fund? What percentage of the general fund is 2
 Mil? What is the water quality divisions budget?

 Wells are drying up all around this area. Yes, that's supposed to be EPA's
 concern.

 The burden of identifying the water table problems is on the home owner not
 the 13 million gallon guy, or the state or fed.

 Also Tom, I did not hear you defend your boss, Russ Hardly. Thank you for
 that bit of honesty as well. We do support your work, but token enforcement
 is not enough. And hiding behind a system that counts on lawyers and
 politicians [did I just repeat myself] to put together stronger laws so you
 can enforce them, will be your reason for less enforcement's. It is my
 opinion Tom that the whole justice system is smoke and mirrors. We can make
 numbers dance, we make glossy campaign statements, and then not do enough to
 try and keep the water [earth and air] clean. It ain't clean Tom.
 Lose anyone who is close to you to cancer Tom? How about a young child? Help
 us make the changes that go beyond 2 Mil and shoot for clean.
 The above is my opinion, for the lawyers in the group.
 Jerry Renning

-- BEGIN included message

[...]

-- END included message