E-M:/ tired activist/ correction on Gen. Co. posting

Enviro-Mich message from "Sherry Hayden" <hayden@tir.com>

Hi,
Maybe I shouldn't write letters at midnight.  I forgot to add the quantifier
-- 7.5 pounds of mercury  *per year*.  Please come and bring everybody you
know and a few you don't.

    Lots of people like to be scared silly during Halloween.  But this week
an event is occurring that should scare everyone into taking a closer look
at what¹s going on right in our backyards. The Michigan Department of
Environmental Quality is deciding whether to let a Flint business pollute
the area with 6 to 7.5 pounds of mercury and other toxins into the
environment per year.
    S & S Metal Processing is requesting a permit to install a scrap metal
shredder at its North Dort Highway location.  Recycling sounds like a good
idea, but this shredder will increase air, water and soil pollution in
Genesee County, which is already overburdened with toxins. Records obtained
under a Freedom of Information Act Request show shredders cause dust, fumes,
smoke, odors, noise and polluted water runoff. This shredder is very close
to a residential area and an elementary school.  Its 60-foot stack will
ensure the rest of Flint, its suburbs, and Lapeer County will share lower
air quality as well.
    There will be only one chance to oppose this permit, number 92-00.  A
public hearing will be held this Thursday, Nov. 2 , 7 p.m. at Carpenter Road
Elementary School Auditorium, 6901 Webster Rd., off Carpenter Rd. (exit 11
off I-475. Go east on Carpenter about one mile; school is at corner of
Webster Rd.)  Concerned people of Flint, Genesee and Lapeer counties are
strongly urged to attend!

Sherry Hayden
Flint

İİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİ=