E-M:/ WELCOME TO MY NIGHTMARE

Enviro-Mich message from Smileysmlc@aol.com

While some in the Nader camp claim they are voting their "dream", I see only
a nightmare ahead.  Even if Ralph Nader gets the magical 5% (which is
likely), what will that do to the long-term future of the environmental
movement?  I see the Green Party as only being a divisive force, not a
unifying one.  Except for the diehard Green Party supporters, why will people
ever again want to vote for a Green presidential candidate? (especially if
the Green Party essentially throws the election to Bush this time).  Won't
people finally realize that divisiveness is not the answer?  We can't
possibly move in the direction of our dreams if we lose major (and winnable)
elections like this one.

Still, that is more of a long term concern.  The immediate concern is much
more nightmarish.  Although some speak as if it doesn't matter who is elected
President, I challenge you to think of local situations near and dear to many
of us.  How would a Bush Presidency change the outcome?

I have many examples in mind (which I'm almost afraid to share, lest I give
them ideas), so I offer only one:  HUMBUG MARSH.

Under Governor John Engler, the state has become very anti-environment,
choosing to promote business development regardless of the overall costs and
consequences (how I long for the days of moderate Republicans!!).  The
Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (sic) botched its involvement at
every step of the way--from dealing with McClouth Steel, to Waste Management,
to Made in Detroit (sic, again).  MDEQ, of course, issued a permit for the
destruction of the Humbug Marsh area, with only minor restrictions.  The only
thing now preventing total destruction of Humbug Marsh is the federal
government!

But what do you suppose will happen if George Bush is elected President?  Do
you anticipate that directives will be handed down to staff, just as they are
under the Engler administration?  George Bush champions "states' rights", but
I've only heard him state that in the context of lessening federal
protections.  He never seems to mention the rights of states or local
governments when he says that the federal government should mandate the local
use of educational vouchers (granted, he didn't use those exact words, but
regardless, that's what he said relative to providing federal money).

I find the right-wing Republicans, and the Bush candidacy in particular, to
be quite ironic.  They speak of "personal responsibility", yet they seem to
feel that they have no responsibility to future generations.  They speak of
"trust", yet they don't trust women to make the most personal of decisions.
They speak of "fiscal responsibility", yet are willing to give away massive
tax cuts before paying off our staggering national debt.

They speak of "patriotism", yet at every turn they deride our institution of
government, as if it were the enemy.  They speak of "property rights", but
only as it refers to the rights of corporations to make money at our expense.
 What about the "property rights" of those who have their well pumped dry by
quarries, or have toxic waste injected under their home?

They speak of "reform", yet are opposed to even modest campaign finance
reform proposals, lest they lose the upper hand in the campaign corruption
game.  They speak of protecting the environment...oops...nope, they don't
tend to mention the environment at all, do they?  Except to question the
scientific validity of global warming.  Just like a typical politician:
George Bush won't face atmospheric facts until there is an absolute crisis.
We need to do better.

I wish this whole election were one bad dream.  But maybe, just maybe, enough
people will wake up to the real danger posed by this election.  We don't need
a government which is completely dominated by a right-wing philosophy.

Again, if anyone out there is a moderate Republican, undecided Democrat, or,
yes, even a potential Green Party voter:  think carefully how your vote will
impact this very close election.  We can either go off the deep end, or we
can vote for more sensible moderation (even if you don't support all of Al
Gore's positions, the Republican House and Senate will keep him in check,
guaranteed).  I don't want a government completely dominated by one political
party.  I hope that you don't either.  We need to work together to find
reasonable solutions.

This Halloween is VERY SCARY!

Jack Smiley

P.S.  Do you remember Engler's first election as Governor?  Not being
satisfied with Governor Blanchard, the Michigan United Conservation Clubs
endorsed Engler, largely tipping the election.  Will that be our same fate
this time--with the Green Party tipping the election to Bush?