E-M:/ Is Nader hypocritical on Occidental Oil?

<<
 Two items of interest regarding Nader's criticism of
 Gordon on Occidental Petroleum.

 1.  According to Salon Magazine, in the financial
 disclosure form Nader filed on June 14, the Green
 Party presidential candidate disclosed that he owns
 between $100,000 and $250,000 worth of shares in the
 Fidelity Magellan Fund. The fund controls 4,321,400
 > shares of Occidental Petroleum stock.

 http://www.salon.com/politics/feature/2000/10/28/stocks/index.html

 2.  Following is a letter from U'Wa lawyer Spencer
 Adler. Please forward the letter.

 "If you live in a state where the race is close, don*t
 even think of
 voting
 for Nader to help the U*Wa tribe he so righteously
 hides behind. You
 won*t
 be helping them. Instead, you*ll be sacrificing the
 tribe*s best
 interests
 for Ralph Nader*s. And the U*Wa won*t owe you their
 thanks. You*ll owe
 them
 your apology."

 The full letter follows:

 Why I won*t vote for Ralph Nader, by Spencer Adler

 (October 31, 2000) Three years ago, I heard the story
 of a tribe from
 the
 cloudforest of Colombia * five thousand people
 threatening to leap off
 cliff in mass suicide if oil drilling took place on
 their land.

 Their plight moved me, and I got involved. I was the
 original attorney
 who
 took up their case against Occidental Petroleum, of
 Los Angeles. I
 wrote the
 shareholder resolution against the company, and spoke
 at the annual
 shareholder meetings on their behalf. Last year, I was
 horrified when
 three
 Americans working on the case were kidnapped in
 Colombia, and murdered.
 As it happens, Al Gore*s family has long-standing ties
 to Occidental,
 for
 which Ralph Nader has loudly criticized the vice
 president, pleading
 with
 environmentalists to vote for himself, instead.

 When his campaign began, Nader promised not to be the
 spoiler * not to
 pull
 away from Gore the critical votes that might tip the
 balance in any
 swing
 state. Unfortunately, that*s exactly what he*s doing *
 targeting the
 undecided voters in the undecided states in one of the
 closest races in
 history. Despite the fact that Nader himself owns
 Occidental stock
 through
 his Fidelity investments, much of his anti-Gore
 rhetoric focuses on the
 vice
 president*s Occidental connection.

 Nader*s campaign now has every chance to lose the
 election for Al Gore.
 In
 fact, the republicans recognize this vulnerability,
 and have hired a
 Washington public relations firm to place Nader ads in
 crucial
 undecided
 markets.

 Once this election is behind us, most of the people
 who today are
 impassioned over the U*Wa cause will move on. Ralph
 Nader will move on.
 The
 voters will move on. I, on the other hand, will lobby
 either the Gore
 team
 or the Bush team, depending upon who wins. Gore in the
 past has
 directed
 Madeline Albright to pressure the Colombian government
 for justice for
 the U
 *Wa, and I*m convinced that if he wins the election,
 he will do more.
 His
 team is far from perfect. But they*ll return my calls
 and try to come
 up
 with a solution. Bush*s team won*t. Ralph Nader claims
 there is no
 difference between the candidates. But from my
 perspective, this
 difference
 is as big as the rainforest itself.

 If you live in a state where the vote is a foregone
 conclusion, you may
 want
 to vote for Nader to make a point. Or you may want to
 help the Green
 Party
 get the five percent of the vote they*ll need to get
 federal funding
 four
 years from now. But if you live in a state where the
 race is close,
 don*t
 even think of voting for Nader to help the U*Wa tribe
 he so righteously
 hides behind. You won*t be helping them. Instead,
 you*ll be sacrificing
 the
 tribe*s best interests for Ralph Nader*s. And the U*Wa
 won*t owe you
 their
 thanks. You*ll owe them your apology.

 (Spencer Adler is an attorney in private practice in
 Washington, DC.
 The Law Office of Spencer Adler, P.L.L.C
 a professional limited liability company
 1250 24th Street, NW, Suite 350
 Washington, DC 20037

-- BEGIN included message