E-M:/ South Fox Island Insider Info

An insider has contacted me and asked me to
post the following information on Enviro-Mich concerning
what appears to be an environmentally damaging
project proposal which is in motion in the MDEQ for
South Fox Island.   This is the message from
the insider provided as a direct quote:

"The MDNR has applied to the MDEQ to blast
a road through critical dunes to provide
access to the lighthouse on South Fox.
The lighthouse has been accessible by some
means throughout its existence, however,
suddenly this road is necessary. This
application is being made for the benefit
of Dave Johnson in anticipation of the land
swap. The scuttlebutt is that approval of
the application for the road is essentially
guaranteed, but that the MDEQ sand dune
personnel are seeking ways to minimize impact.
It is outrageous that the DNR would act
as an agent for Mr. Johnson's benefit. This
is apparently being pushed out of Lansing
(big surprise) and my understanding is that
field staff are very unhappy about the
proposal. Land and Water Management Division
is doing the review, Cadillac is the field office."

If others working on South Fox Island
confirm this, please post additional
information to EM.   Someone should
FOIA the Cadillac District office of MDEQ
and MDNR on this.

and Community Environmental Protection

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)