Re: E-M:/ Roadless corrections

Enviro-Mich message from "Murray Dailey" <murphwild1@hotmail.com>

Dave,

We should indeed be up in arms in opposition to stewardship logging..
Stewardship logging is a euphemism for implementing scientifically unsound
projects--logging or otherwise.  There is overwhelming emperical evidence
which shows over-logging and monocultures are the cause of many current
chronic forest health problems, and wildfire catastrophes.

The "hogwash" of the Rudyard LTE forest health logging which you highlight,
is pervasive and systematic.  You cannot have your forests and cut them too.

Millions and millions of acres of public forests in this state and country
have been senselessly and tragically  logged under one guise or another.
Let us remember the logging of green forests, ancient and otherwise,  under
the salvage rider--nine sales in Michigan's Ottawa NF.

The near certainty of "Stewardship Riders" and forest destruction bills by
congresspeople such as Rep. Bart Stupak (D-MI) and Sen. Larry Craig (R-ID)
are all too real nationally, and on a project, state and forest level.

The FS are in the business of business with the industries who ravage our
land and manipulate the population which inhabits it-human and non-human.
The FS are not the Park Service, and the FS  logs for business not
stewardship.  The scraped-clean mountains, the tired worn countryside, the
frail, sterile converted forests, the ravaged river banks and sully soiled
streams are the proof. The decades of abuse are the proof. The diminished
culture  are the proof.

Many prominent biologists say the earth could lose one quarter to one third
of all species within a few years.   Biologists also warn that all
vertebrate evolution is coming to an end.  Are we truly this selfish, or
just unwilling to see.

All our public lands should be preserved.  Ask for it in a simple call to
your congresspersons. Demand protection.

Murray Dailey

PS.  Sure, it is good to change the minds, and gain allies (or information)
with agency staff (FS and DNR), but this will not solve the core problem.