Re: E-M:/ Roadless corrections

Enviro-Mich message from "David E. Allen" <dallen@nmu.edu>

Murray:

(This is a much edited version of the original - now suitable for public
distribution.  Still, Murray, I don't believe that I am as clueless as you
state in your first mean-spirited message).

Frankly, I don't wish to engage in a probably futile discussion on
stewardship logging with you, but a starting point for you might be:

         Franklin, Jerry F., and Kathryn A. Kohm, ed., (1997).  Creating
         a Forestry for the 21st Century: The Science of Ecosystem
         Management.  Covelo, CA: Island Press.

While more general than mere stewardship logging, it does lay the
framework.  Then you can read the Hi-Country News.  But that is way to
reactionary for you.  But about a year ago they had quite a bit of space
devoted to Stewardship Logging.  And the Hungary Horse News occasionally
reports on the stewardship logging being done on the Flathead under the
encouragement of logger Bob Love.

And so the story goes.  Any logging can be reasonably decent - or horrid -
depending on who does the marking and who does the cutting.  Spend an
afternoon with Gus Erdman in the Dukes - perhaps then you might be able to
understand that a difference can exist.

Dave Allen