Re: GM's BACT Flipping....Re: E-M:/ NOTICE OF AIR POLLUTIONPUBLIC HEARING

Enviro-Mich message from Harold Stokes <hstokes@asuka.bignet.net>

Hi Jeff,

Congratulations on winning some battles with Ford and occasionally with a
few other companies.  The gains that the Ecology Center has made with Ford
and others may be challenged in the future and nullified by corporation in
Canada or Mexico because our nation has signed onto the North American Free
Trade Agreement with them.  As it now exists as long as the US and any
other nation which signs onto an international agreement similar to NAFTA,
a corporation in the nation group can sue and win very likely if it
interferes with them making a profit.  See the first paragraphs from the
Toronto Spectator and the Detroit News in the email from Dave Dempsey which
follows below.

Hopefully, before too long, environmentalists, unionists and others will
realize that the North American Free Trade Agreement and other
international corporate agreements sponsored by the corporate dominated
World Trade Organization, are and can be devastating to the environment,
democracy and our future.

Harold

WHAT'S SO SCARY ABOUT POLITICAL FAT CATS?

What is a FAT CAT?

FAT CATS are wealthy contributors to political campaigns.

FAT CATS have inordinate access to our elected public servants in local and
state government and in Washington, DC.

FAT CATS gain this special access by making contributions to candidates.

FAT CATS represent a tiny percentage of the general public.

According to the Center for Responsive Politics, one quarter of one percent
of the population give 80 percent of all the political money in our
elections. Candidates are dependent on wealthy special interests to run
their campaigns. With rising campaign costs, the candidates and their
parties court these FAT CATS (big donors), ultimately giving them special
access and undue influence on our elections and public policy process.

FAT CATS, through their special access, remove the accountability that
should exist as part of our democratic process. Government by FAT CATS for
their own special interests does not  necessarily reflect the 'common
good.' Shouldn't we have government of, by and for all the people?

FAT CATS have insatiable appetites. In order to remove their influence, the
current campaign finance system needs to be reformed in a comprehensive way.

Here in the Great Lakes State, the MICHIGAN CAMPAIGN FINANCE NETWORK has
been formed to study the impact of money and research prospective solutions
for real reform. PARENTS can get involved in the Michigan Campaign Finance
Network through its Community Organizing program. For more details, call
(517) 482-7198; fax (517) 482-6132; or send an e-mail to:
jmitchell@mcfn.org.