E-M:/ lower insurance for SUV's

Enviro-Mich message from Anne Cox <coxa@MAIL.LIB.MSU.EDU>

According to an article in today's NYT, State Farm plans to reduce insurance
premiums for large vehicles (big cars, trucks, SUV's) because they are
considered safest for the occupants.  The air bag discount for smaller cars
will be reduced.  They imagine that the insurance & safety ratings for the
largest vehicles might encourage buyers - does anyone else have a problem
with this?  Insurance rates are based on accident statistics, but do we
really want to encourage people to buy larger and larger vehicles?
Since our car was rear-ended by a hit-and-run SUV driver last Wednesday,
this is especially irritating reading.
State Farm is the biggest auto insurer in the nation.  Other insurers
usually follow their lead.  Since Michigan is home to several SUV producers
as well as many of the vehicles themselves, I hope this is Michigan related
enough.  Read the whole article at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/11/28/business/28INSU.html