Re: E-M:/ lower insurance for SUV's

SUV's shoud also pay for impaired eyesight from their high, bright lights,
accidents caused because regular sized vehicles can't see around them, increased
traffic congestion caused by the mere fact that their size and bulkiness make them
slower to react to green lights and to make turns, etc.

David Allen wrote:

> Enviro-Mich message from David Allen <dallen@nmu.edu>
>
> I propose that the various auto types be compelled to pay, through
> insurance, for the damage they cause.  While SUV's, for example, might have
> reduced passenger claims, they are the cause of increased damage claims
> when their massive tonnage strikes a smaller vehicle, when their over
> height bumpers destroy smaller cars sheet metal and safety appliances, when
> their lack of crushability forces all of the crushing energy into the other
> vehicle, etc.  This is not a matter of who is at fault in the accident; it
> is a matter of consumer choice and supplier design.
>
> Dave Allen
>
> At 10:53 AM 11/28/00 , Anne Cox wrote:
> >Enviro-Mich message from Anne Cox <coxa@MAIL.LIB.MSU.EDU>
> >
> >According to an article in today's NYT, State Farm plans to reduce insurance
> >premiums for large vehicles (big cars, trucks, SUV's) because they are
> >considered safest for the occupants.  The air bag discount for smaller cars
> >will be reduced.  They imagine that the insurance & safety ratings for the
> >largest vehicles might encourage buyers - does anyone else have a problem
> >with this?  Insurance rates are based on accident statistics, but do we
> >really want to encourage people to buy larger and larger vehicles?
> >Since our car was rear-ended by a hit-and-run SUV driver last Wednesday,
> >this is especially irritating reading.
> >State Farm is the biggest auto insurer in the nation.  Other insurers
> >usually follow their lead.  Since Michigan is home to several SUV producers
> >as well as many of the vehicles themselves, I hope this is Michigan related
> >enough.  Read the whole article at:
> >
> >http://www.nytimes.com/2000/11/28/business/28INSU.html
> >

> >==============================================================
> >ENVIRO-MICH:  Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental
> >and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action.   Archives at
> >http://www.great-lakes.net/lists/enviro-mich/
> >
> >Postings to:  enviro-mich@great-lakes.net      For info, send email to
> >majordomo@great-lakes.net  with a one-line message body of  "info enviro-mich"
> >==============================================================

begin:vcard
n:Olsson;Kris
tel;work:734-769-5123
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.hrwc.org
org:Huron River Watershed Council
version:2.1
email;internet:olssonk@umich.edu
title:Watershed Ecologist
adr;quoted-printable:;;1100 N. Main=0D=0ASuite 210;Ann Arbor;MI;48104;USA
fn:Kris Olsson
end:vcard