E-M:/ The Doves

Enviro-Mich message from "Snow Bird" <birdpriestess@hotmail.com>

Whenever I think of the Mourning Dove, I invariably think of the Passenger
Pigeon.  The only one that I have ever seen was stuffed and sitting in a
Muskegon museum.  I struggle with this issue, because I am not anti-hunting,
but killing for the mere sake of sport is, shameful, sick, immature, drunken
Bubba behavior.  I saw way too many Bubbas when I used to hunt and I know
that the prevailing attitude of people who want to blast away at these
harmless, lovely birds, with about one ounce of meat on their bones, is the
same as it was the last time that this issue came up:  "Kill them all, let
God sort them out!"  Well, to hell with that attitude.  Hunt for a reason,
NO DOVE SEASON!

The Bird Priestess

"Men still live who, in their youth remember pigeons;
trees still live that, in their youth, were shaken by a living wind. But a
few decades hence only the oldest oaks will remember, and at long last only
the hills will know.

We grieve because no living man will ever see again the onrush of victorius
birds, sweeping a path for spring across the March skies, chasing the
defeated winter from all of the woods and prairies.

There will always be pigeons in books and in museums but they are dead to
all hardships and to all delights. They cannot dive out of a cloud, nor clap
their wings in thunderous applause. They know no urge of seasons; they feel
no kiss of sun, no lash of wind and weather, they live forever by not living
at all."

>From a Monument to the Pigeon
Aldo Leopold, 1947