E-M:/ New Market Development

Enviro-Mich message from "Jonathan Nawrocki" <blueroo1@wildmail.com>

Hi everyone,

I am inquiring about the development in Pittsfield Township, so named New Market. The questions I have reagrding it relate to the
citizen refuttal of the development. As a future student (Summer 2001) of Urban Planning with a strong emphasis on Urban
Architecture, Urban Design and a high emphasis on Urban Real Estate development, I am curious why there is so much backlash
against a model development.

As a citizen that was once a rural community, which is now neither rural nor community, I can understand the NIMBY attitude towards
development because there are develpers that do not think about the important things in life, namely environment, community
development and non-auto use within the community. This development is designed by the foremost designers in the country. I say
this because they are the forerunners in the New Urbanism. As some of you may know New Urbanism is a term associated with town
development, not subdivison and sprawl. The two architects and principles, Andres Duany and Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk wrote
Suburban Nation, which acknowledges and proposes solutions to our ashphalt sprawl problems. The site for the deveolpment plan
with illustrations is at http://www.dpz.com for those interested. The problem designers and planners are facing is the onslaught of
development fueled be the urbanazation of the residual area. This urbanization can either be thought of in two ways, the sprawling
car-dependent, big box store ashphalt jungle or developing a town, like the way they were before WWII. Maybe have some
greenspace, mixed use downtown area, in most places downtowns are illegal to build, and aprtments mixed, with single or
multi-family housing.

To design and think of alternatives to a subdivision of houses on 1 acre plots, the overwelmingly popular, and "new" way of thinking is
in smart growth solutions. These solutions keep sprawl at bay, while providing the necessary solutions for the population, I would
imagine that the citizens of Pittsfield township would be in support of such a solution, though the opposite is shown to be true.

My question is, is this a a case of NIMBY's, misinformed people or just an overall hesistation toward development becasue of the
ugliness and lack of thought that has been placed in the last 55 years..?

Cheers

Jonathan

Care2 make the world greener !