E-M:/ WMEAC seeks Lake Monitoring Volunteers

Enviro-Mich message from Jenny Allen <wmeac@bigplanet.com>

The West Michigan Environmental Action Council in collaboration with the DEQ
and the Michigan Lake and Stream Associations is coordinating a lake program
in Kent County to help citizens monitor the county's lakes. Ideally we are
looking for citizens who live on those lakes, but at large volunteers are
welcome as well to assist.

WHY: Only a few of the lakes in Kent County are monitored on any sort of a
regular basis. Monitoring information helps us understand whether the
quality of our lakes are improving or degrading.

WHO: Volunteers from all walks of life can perform these straightforward
tests that require only a half dozen outings each year. We prefer that
volunteers live on the particular lake.

WHAT: The type of monitoring includes water clarity (secchi disk),
phosphorus testing, chlorophyll testing, dissolved oxygen and temperature
testing. Plant identification and aquatic species diversity testing may also
be included.

HOW: Volunteers will be given training on monitoring procedures and provided
with the necessary equipment for their activities. WMEAC will provide
support for volunteers as needed.  Volunteers will be required to provide
their own access to the lakes and their own watercraft.

WHERE: All lakes in Kent County.

WHEN: Volunteer monitoring will be performed from May through late September
or early October. Sign-up is in January.

Interested participants will need to contact Tom Cary at WMEAC at
wmeactc@bigplanet.com or 616-451-3051 before Christmas to let us know if
they are interested. If it is not possible to make a commitment in this
time, please let us know of your interest and we will fit you in.

Jenny Allen
West Michigan Environmental Action Council
1514 Wealthy SE, Suite 280
Grand Rapids, MI 49506-2755
(616) 451-3051
Fax: (616) 451-3054