Re: E-M:/ Ordinance how-tos

Enviro-Mich message from "Bonnie Shupe" <BONNIES@cannontwp.org>

No online or print materials that I am aware of, but you might want to try Michigan Townships Association.  Their phone number is 517-321-6467.  They also have a web site - www.mta-townships.org

One suggestion for you from a township official - make sure you have some of the local officials on your side and offer to help them develop an ordinance after you get their "buy-in" that there truly is a need for it.  We have a local group, the Neighborhood Wetland Stewards, helping us put together a wetland ordinance right now.  They are providing the tools we need in order to map the township wetlands.  We have been meeting regularly and we're in agreement that this is needed and we're working together to make it a reality.

I think you will find that most local officials will cooperate if they are made part of the process instead of some group coming in and trying to force an ordinance  down their throats.

I am also on a Kent County Task Force that is working right now on a Stormwater ordinance.  One subcommittee of this group is working on ways to present the ordinance to the local government units to persuade them that this ordinance is necessary.  We have been spending a lot of hours developing the model ordinance and working on the educational component.  I don't think there is any quick fix to getting an ordinance adopted.

Bonnie Shupe, Cannon Township Clerk/Watershed Administrator

>>> "Jessica Pitelka Opfer" <planner@crwc.org> 12/04/00 01:31PM >>>
Enviro-Mich message from "Jessica Pitelka Opfer" <planner@crwc.org>

Does anyone know of good online or print materials that outline generic
"how-tos" of developing and passing local ordinances (specifically wetlands
ordinances)?  My quick-and-dirty web search yielded no useful results.
Thanks for any info!
Jessica Pitelka Opfer
Watershed Planner
Clinton River Watershed Council