Re: E-M:/ Toronto Globe & Mail on trash exports to Michigan

Enviro-Mich message from Sheinzman <sheinzman@prodigy.net>

Due to NAFTA, it would not be possible to halt the import of trash from Canada to
the U.S. under the dispute resolution process, unless for some unforeseeable reason
BFI wouldn't challenge their loss of revenue.  At this point, Michigan can LEGALLY
do nothing, same with Congress.  Should laws be passed to halt the importation of
trash, BFI would cry foul and we would either have to revoke the new law or
compensate BFI for their lost revenues.

This illustrates an important connection for environmentalists.  The biggest
obstacle to protecting the environment is corporate power.  Our governments in
Michigan, the U.S. and most of the world are working primarily for the super big
corporations.  Trade agreements like NAFTA and the WTO give huge advantages to
multinational corporations while requiring no responsibility or accountability from
them.  The FTAA is the next domino in the effort to legally elevate the status of
multinationals.

If we don't remove big corps from our elections, then our elected officials will
continue to be obligated to them to get elected.  There may be laws to protect the
environment, but money will not be appropriated to properly enact or enforce them.
Corporate welfare will continue to allow corporations to avoid paying their fair
share.  And we'll continue to spend an excess of $300 billion annually on the
military.

Nader tried to hammer this home, but for reasons I don't grasp the environmental
community at large doesn't see it.

-Scott Heinzman