Re: E-M:/ Supreme Court Ruling Explained

Enviro-Mich message from "Bonnie Shupe" <BONNIES@cannontwp.org>

So glad you asked.  In Cannon Township we use the Optical Scan System where the voter connects an arrow by the candidate of his/her choice.  If they do something wrong, the ballot is rejected by the tabulator and they are given a chance to try again.  I have had some voters try 4 times before they got it right.

As far as I know, all of our voters ballots were tabulated and counted.  The number of voters at the precincts matched the number of ballots tabulated.  This included the absentee ballots.

The only problem with absentee ballots is that the voter is not right there to correct a problem.  There are two possibilities - 1) the voter overvoted the ballot, or 2) the voter used the wrong kind of utensil so the tabulator sees the ballot as "blank."  In the former case, the ballot can be "overridden" and all the votes will count except the category where the voter overvoted.  A ballot that appears to be correctly marked, but is not picked up by the tabulator can be remade at the end of the night by two election workers of opposite parties.  This is called a "duplicate" ballot.  This is then fed into the tabulator and the original placed in a special envelope.

We have 4 precincts in Cannon - about 8,000 registered voters.  I had 3 ballots arrive after the deadline (Election Day at 8:00 p.m.) that were not counted.  Most of the time that absentee ballots arrive late is due to the procrastination of the voter.

I feel confident with Michigan Election Law.  We have to test our equipment ahead of time to make sure it is reading the ballot correctly.  We have to allow for all types of situations, premarking ballots to make sure the proper result is achieved.

Most of the townships in Kent County use the Op-tech system, one uses the touch screen one, and the City of Grand Rapids and Wyoming use punch cards.  However, they have a system using a tabulator that reads the ballot immediately after the voter has completed voting, so they know right away if their ballot is acceptable.

I know Candace Miller is on a big push to get the same equipment throughout the state and I'm very much opposed to that.  An eventual phasing out, fine, but she wants us all to be using the same equipment by 2002.  There is no way the entire state of Michigan could afford getting the touch screen system that Candace likes.  For one thing, it is so expensive, I can't imagine those small communities in the UP could afford it.  Some of the clerks, myself included, don't like that system.

I could go on and on, but you get the picture.  Touched a little nerve, I think.....
Bonnie Shupe, Cannon Township Clerk/Watershed Admin.

lc@aol.com

   This forwarded message has a perspective which counters the previous post:
<< "They stole the election?"  I realize that you supported Gore, but give me
break.  The only person trying to steal the election is Gore! >>

   Also, since voting determines the direction of all of our governmental
policies--including environmental ones--the Florida fiasco should be a
fundamental concern of everyone.  If we have no confidence in our voting
process, we can have no confidence in the voting results.
   It also raises questions about voting in Michigan:  How many different
voting techniques are used in Michigan?  How reliable are they at registering
voter intent?  Has anyone even done any analysis of the number of ballots
disqualified due to mechanical errors?  It would be interesting to find out,
precinct by precinct, the number of Michigan votes which are never counted.
Jack Smiley