Re: E-M:/ Supreme Court Ruling Explained

Enviro-Mich message from Smileysmlc@aol.com

Bonnie,
Thanks for your response.  It's good to hear that votes CAN be counted
correctly.  I'd still be interested in a statewide survey.  I know that the
City of Detroit, at least until recently, used a punch card system with no
provisions for detecting errors.  I'm not sure if they still use that system.
 The City of Southfield, I'm told, uses a punch card system; but they have a
system to reject miscast ballots on the spot, too.

The City of Westland recently switched to a computer touch screen system.  I
don't know about its accuracy, but the touch screens have greatly lengthened
the lines at the polling place.  The touch screens are very slow and are
rather difficult to read due to poor contrast.  The smaller print is almost
unreadable.

Since each vote CAN and SHOULD be counted, we obviously need state and
national accuracy standards.  Anything less should
be...well...unconstitutional.

Jack Smiley