Re: E-M:/ Supreme Court Ruling Explained

Enviro-Mich message from "Jeff Jenks" <travelisfun@mich.com>

Dear Michael,

As an Elector I represented a slate determined by the vote in Michigan for
Albert Gore and Joseph Lieberman.

We do have recounts in Michigan.  One was done in the Byrum-Rogers race.
Its not a big deal but it did take a number of days.

The Florida Supreme Court developed an appropriate method for analyzing the
full vote in the undercount.  The U.S. Supreme Court allowed the count, but
didn't allow time for it to be completed.

Abraham didn't come CLOSE to Stabenow.  Abraham had the opportunity to
request a recount.  Even where we have punch cards, much of the reading
equipment we use in Michigan reports to the voter any overcounts.  The big
problem in Florida was that 25,000 ballots primarily in Democratic areas had
too many punches.  In many Michigan cities when you turned in your punch
card it would have identified chad errors and overcounts.

Nationwide Gore won the popular vote.  In Florida the popular vote,
including a legally available recount, was not allowed to be completed.
That is what Alex was talking about.  We will know sometime in the future
what the popular vote was, thanks to the Freedom of Information Act, and
then perhaps we will find that Gore did win the popular vote in Florida as
well.
Jeff Jenks, C.T.C. - Owner - Manager - TRAVEL IS FUN
Phone:  800 941-0049   Fax: 248 398-7859   Website:
http://www.mich.com/~travelisfun

Call for special fares to Asia and to Europe. Please follow-up your call
with an E-mail with  full names and ages of passengers, and a home phone
number.  Visit our website for special rates  on tours, and cruises.