Re: E-M:/ STOP HARDING for US EPA-EMERGENCY!!!!

Greetings,

EPA appointments are confirmed in the Senate.

I have contacted Senator Levin's office.  I was told the best way to voice
your opposition to Russell Harding in EPA position is to FAX a letter.  Mr.
Levin's FAX is 202-224-1388.

Senate elect Debbie Stabenow will not be available to recieve FAX's until
January 3.  Her number will be 202-224-4822.

Murray Dailey

Greetings,

I sincerely hope that everyone on this list TEMPORARILY STOP what they are
doing and join in STOPPING Michigan DEQ director Russell Harding from
appointment to head the EPA.

Go to Michigan Environmental Councils web site and look under the "what's
new" option and download the 37-page report, Dereliction of Duty at:

http://www.mecprotects.org/newsmain.htm

USE THE REPORT TO NOTIFY SENATORS CARL LEVIN AND DEBBIE STABENOW OF HARDINGS
MISERABLE RECORD IN MICHIGAN AND THE TERRIBLE DANGER HE PRESENTS TO OUR
ENVIRONMENT!

PLEASE CALL MICHIGAN SENATORS CARL LEVIN AND DEBBIE STABENOW AND DEMAND THAT
THEY DO EVERYTHING IN THEIR POWER TO STOP THIS!!

FOR OUT OF STATERS, PLEASE ALSO CONTACT YOUR SENATORS AND DEMAND THAT RUSSELL
HARDING BE STOPPED FROM APPOINTMENT TO ANY POSITION IN EPA!!!

CAPITOL SWITCHBOARD--202-224-3121

To find the address and phone number of your Congressperson on the internet
go to <http://www.vote-smart.org/index.phtml> and click on "Congress" under
the"offices" category.  Then click on the state for all information for your
congressperson.

To send a letter by US mail:

Your senator________
US Senate
Washington, DC 20510

Murray Dailey

-----------------
Enviro-Mich message from Chad Bailey <crbailey@umich.edu>

Sorry if I'm behind the times, but I just (re)subscribed to this list.

CNN.com is reporting that Russ Harding of MDEQ is a leading candidate for
appointment to the position of EPA Administrator.  Public Employees for
Environmental Responsibility's 1998 poll of MDEQ employees indicated that
63% of MDEQ employees agreed with the following statement:  "Director
Hardings cross divisional movement weakens the agency by placing
individuals into supervisory level positions for which they have no
practical experience or expertise."  54% of DEQ employees agreed with the
following statement:  "I have experienced or know of a situation(s) in
which DEQ management has re-assigned or changed the job responsibility of
a staffer for doing their job 'too well' on a controversial project."  85%
of DEQ employees who returned their surveys disagreed with the following
statement:  Russell Harding has done a good job as DEQ Director in
protecting the states natural resources.

Now, this poll doesn't look like a scientific poll to me.  Only 41% of
surveys were returned, indicating a potentially large effect of survey
respondent's self-selection bias.  Nevertheless, one has to wonder.

When the US EPA Office of Civil Rights proposed its (initial) interim
guidance on Title VI of the Civil Rights Act implementation, Harding
published an editorial in the Detroit newspapers (the News, I believe)
which was later discovered to have been written by the Chemical
Manufacturers' Association.  His spokesperson eventually acknowledged this
"borrowing."