Re: E-M:/ WHITMAN SEEN AS HEAD OF EPA

Enviro-Mich message from Chad Bailey <crbailey@umich.edu>

I too have heard that Whitman is the #1 possibility.  Unfortunately, any
open space efforts she may have made in NJ will not be under her
jurisdiction.  The Department of Interior's likely head will by Gov.
Racicot (spelling?) of Montana, an avowed Wise-User.  Whitman herself is a
bit of a greenwashed figure.

During Governor Whitman's tenure as governor, she has reduced enforcement
of existing environmental laws and reduced the size of the NJ Department
of Environmental Protection substantially.  When elected, she fired New
Jersey's environmental prosecutor and declared New Jersey "open for
business."  She made public statements that NJ industry was
over-regulated by environmental agencies.  On the other hand, NJ has done
some interesting work with multimedia, facility-wide emission permits
through EPA's Project XL.

As compared to Harding, she may be less hostile to environmental
regulation.  Difficult to say...