Re: E-M:/ List serve/copyright

Greetings,

Perhaps the following will help clarify the issue of copyrighted materials
for distribution on e-mich.

Murray Dailey

We are making material available in our efforts to advance understanding

of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific,

and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of

any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US

Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material

on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a

prior interest in receiving the included information for research and

educational purposes. For more information go to:

Section 107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use

      Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106
and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work,
including such use by reproduction in copies or
phonorecords or by any other means specified by that
section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news
reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for
classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an
infringement of copyright.  In determining whether the
use made of a work in any particular case is a fair
use the factors to be considered shall include -
        (1) the purpose and character of the use,
including whether such use is of a commercial nature
or is for nonprofit
      educational purposes;
        (2) the nature of the copyrighted work;
        (3) the amount and substantiality of the
portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a
whole; and
        (4) the effect of the use upon the potential
market for or value of the copyrighted work.
    The fact that a work is unpublished shall not
itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is
made upon consideration of all the
    above factors.