E-M:/ mec responds to deq's "environmental quality 2000 report"

Enviro-Mich message from Dave Dempsey <davemec@voyager.net>

For the last 2 years, the Michigan DEQ has issued an environmental quality
report. MEC welcomes the concept of an annual environmental report to the
people, but unfortunately, DEQ has largely selected data that puts its
policies in the best light, while overlooking negative indicators. It also
fails to translate its data into measures that are meaningful to the
general public.

MEC has decided to take up DEQ on its invitation to use the agency's report
as a starting point for dialogue, and we have now posted our analysis of
the report with a more comprehensive set of data on our web site.  Go to
the link below and click on "In Search of Environmental Vision:  The DEQ's
New Environmental Quality Report Misses the Mark."

http://www.mecprotects.org/newsmain.htm

If you want to read the DEQ report, it can be found at the link below.  It
is a pdf file.

http://www.deq.state.mi.us/osep/deqeqrpt.htm

Dave Dempsey
Michigan Environmental Council