E-M:/ Clinton Signs Roadless Areas protection Initiative!

Enviro-Mich message from "Anne M. Woiwode" <anne.woiwode@prodigy.net>

As many are probably already hearing, President Clinton has signed the
massive, National Forest Roadless Areas protection plan, including 4 areas
in Michigan's 3 National Forests totaling about 16,000 acres.

Thanks to the thousands of Michigan residents who spoke out about the
importance of protecting wild places in our National Forests, both here in
Michigan and around the nation!

Anne Woiwode

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: January 5, 2001
CONTACT: Wendy Balazik, 202-675-2383
         IN MICHIGAN: Anne Woiwode 517-484-2372

SIERRA CLUB CELEBRATES HISTORIC DECISION TO
PROTECT LAST UNSPOILED NATIONAL FOREST AREAS

WASHINGTON -- Today, the Sierra Club celebrated President Clinton's
announcement of the final decision on a plan that will protect the last
unspoiled areas of our National Forests. Protecting these pristine areas
completes the largest forest conservation initiative in generations --
protecting millions of acres of wild forests from New Hampshire to
California.
         "Today's announcement is a victory for us all -- for everyone who
has ever
walked in a forest, for the millions of us who rely on our national forests
for clean drinking water, and for future generations," said Carl Pope, the
Sierra Club's executive director. "By safeguarding unspoiled forests from
coast to coast, President Clinton has achieved the greatest land protection
victory in a generation."
         The final plan is an improvement over previous drafts because it
provides
real protection to the wild areas of the Tongass National Forest in Alaska,
America's last great temperate rainforest. The Forest Service also
tightened up a loophole that would have allowed destructive logging in our
wild forests under the guise of stewardship.
         Today's decision marks the end of a multi-year public process that
included
more than 600 public meetings and more than one million public comments.
"Today we congratulate the President for leaving a legacy of wild forests
for all Americans who love to hunt, hike, fish and camp," continued Pope.
"Congratulations are also due to the more than one million people who
influenced this decision by sending a letter or speaking out at the public
meetings."
         With this rule in place, environmentalists will now turn their
attention to
defending the plan. Timber industry allies in Congress have already
launched an effort to overturn this historic rule. The Sierra Club will
join with other conservationists to fight all attempts to delay or reverse
the plan. Environmentalists will also work at the local level to ensure
that this plan is fully implemented and that our last wild forests are
fully protected.

                                         # # #

The Sierra Club is the nation's oldest and largest grassroots environmental
organization. For more news, please see http://www.sierraclub.org/pressroom/