E-M:/ Republic Waste-Bay County

Enviro-Mich message from Terry & Barb Miller <terbar@concentric.net>

Hi Friends,

   Any one know of criminal or DEQ violations against Republic Waste?
   I've been following the Toronto waste import fight from afar, but waste
importation has recently become of greater concern to us here in Bay County.
It seems that Waste Management had to divest itself of the Whitefeather
Landfill in Pinconning, and Republic Waste picked it up. Republic couldn't
get the hauling contracts that Waste had, so carrying the threat of having
to close the landfill (not a threat for us, but somehow the county has the
idea they HAVE to have a landfill for competition, and Pinconning Township
has gotten quite used to the revenue) they went to our Board of
Commissioners and asked that our county waste plan be opened up to include
23 additional counties.  With the 12 already included, it would make Bay
County the mecca for all of the northern lower peninsula.  In a vote of 7 to
4 (with all the people's and environmental representation voting no) the
rewrite committee recommended approval of the 23 counties to the Board of
Commissioners this coming Tuesday.
  Thus, any violations, any suggestions, as we approach our commissioners
would be welcomed.
   See Bay City Times story:
      http://bc.mlive.com/news/index.ssf?/news/stories/20010105bsolid.frm

                                                          Terry Miller