Re: E-M:/ Romulus deepwells hearing

At 07:55 AM 01/18/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from "Julie Griess" <jgriess@provide.net>
>
>I went to last night's DEQ hearing for the construction permit for the toxic
>deep injection wells in Romulus. People were immensely frustrated by the
>process and the meeting almost went out of control a couple of times. For
>starters, everyone had to go through a metal detector to get into the
>auditorium! One comment was that the DEQ would never protect the Romulus
>citizens to the extent that they took safety precautions in that meeting.

Hmmm....metal detectors for citizens at public hearings, eh??

Where is the MDEQ rule that says this agency can impose that
requirement on citizens testifying at a public hearing??   I rather
doubt there is any such rule.

My take on this is that the use of metal detectors is intended by
MDEQ upper management to have a chilling effect on public participation.
 From MDEQ upper management this is to be expected when their
philosophy seems to be that you spend all your time doing "meet and
greet" meetings with industry and the public (and citizens concerned
about the environment) are the enemy.

You can probably assume that there were undercover CO's or state police
at that meeting as well in the audience.   This practice was discovered
in some previous litigation against the MDEQ.   After all, it is more
important to have those COs attending public hearings than having them
out enforceing environmental laws (in the eyes of Harding and company).

You may want to FOIA MDEQ for all information concerning the use of metal
detectors at public hearings and for all information they held that
justified metal detectors at this particular public hearing.