Re: E-M:/ Romulus deepwells hearing

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Enviro-Mich message from Mike Garfield -------------------------------------------------------------------------
And to put things into further perspective, you should all also know that, early in the struggle over this proposal, someone delivered the severed head of a bobcat to the front door of deep well opponent R.P. Lilly with an unsigned note urging him to quit working against the well. The people of Romulus have plenty of reason to feel under siege.

Mike Garfield

At 3:49 PM -0500 1/18/01, Kenneth Vermeulen wrote:
> Just to keep things in perspective, you should all be aware that MDEQ had received several death threats shortly after the public hearing was noticed. In addition, at two previous hearings tires had been slashed in the parking lot. Once the victim was an 81/2 month pregnant MDEQ staffer. Given the history of this project and the specific death threats by "peaceful opponents" of the project, I think MDEQ's actions were probably justified.

>Enviro-Mich message from "Julie Griess" < jgriess@provide.net >

>I went to last night's DEQ hearing for the construction permit for the toxic
>deep injection wells in Romulus. People were immensely frustrated by the
>process and the meeting almost went out of control a couple of times. For
>starters, everyone had to go through a metal detector to get into the

>auditorium! One comment was that the DEQ would never protect the Romulus
>citizens to the extent that they took safety precautions in that meeting.
>
>Several state representatives stood with Rep. Basham and vowed to oppose the
>facility should it be sited. They included minority leader Kwame Kilpatrick.
>More than one person mentioned that Russ Harding was known to have stated
>that the facility would be approved, before the site review board had even
>started work. The DEQ complained that the site review board had not been
>thorough, yet it had pressured the board throughout to speed up the process.
>Then their comments in overriding the decision made statements such as that
>there were no current studies of the need for the facility, even though an
>excellent one was presented, and that it was not demonstrated that property
>values would decrease, even though a realtor had presented a study of 5
>similar wells in the US where the majority actually had tax assessments
>rolled back substantially, and all had casement leaks and severe pollution
>of the local area. There were many other substantive comments, but in

>general people seemed to believe that the entire process was completely
>crooked and their comments would not be heard. Rep. Basham, I believe,

>commenting on the DEQ responses, asked if there were any such facility or
>location which the DEQ in fact would not have given approval?

>ENVIRO-MICH: Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental
>and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action. Archives at
>
>Postings to: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net For info, send email to
>majordomo@great-lakes.net with a one-line message body of "info enviro-mich"

Mike Garfield
Ecology Center