E-M:/ Call Levin and Stabenow to oppose Norton confirmation!

Enviro-Mich message from "Liz Godfrey" <lizgodfrey@prodigy.net>

Hello Michigan conservationists!

The Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, Isle Royale National Park,
Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge,  Native American cultural sites
throughout the state, and the endangered Great Lakes piping plover and
endangered gray wolf could all find themselves under the steamroller of
development if Gale Norton is confirmed as Secretary of the Interior under
President-elect George Bush.  These are all treasures of Michigan’s heritage
that must be protected and defended.   We as conservationists will face many
tough, uphill battles in the years to come.  To launch ourselves into the
fray successfully, we are beginning by working with groups across the
country to oppose Gale Norton’s nomination.

A former member of the Libertarian Party, Ms. Norton is a staunch supporter
of property-rights and “free-market solutions to environmental problems”-
this often manifests itself in “voluntary” reporting of environmental
violations  by industry.  Needless to say, she is not going to be the best
friend of endangered places and wildlife.  She is a proponent of opening up
the 1.5 million acre coastal plain of the Arctic National Wildlife
Refuge–the last 5% of Alaska’s North Slope that is not open to oil and gas
drilling and home to abundant wildlife and amazing vistas belonging to the
American public.

A national coalition of environmental and progressive groups announced their
opposition to Norton in a press conference at the National Press Club on
Friday and over 200 grassroots groups across the country have signed onto a
letter to Senators opposing her confirmation.  Senator Levin has been
supportive of issues similar to this in the past.  We really need his help
in this fight.  In addition, in her time in the House, Michigan’s new
Senator Debbie Stabenow was a leader on conservation issues.  We need her to
speak up for endangered places and wildlife in the early days of her Senate
career.

Please call Senators Levin and Stabenow and ask them to vocally oppose Gale
Norton’s confirmation and to be a voice for the voiceless in Michigan that
we all hold dear.  Please also forward this to all of your friends and
family in Michigan.

Levin: 202-224-6221
Stabenow: 202-224-4822

The Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee held its initial
confirmation hearing yesterday and will continue today.  The Senate will
take up her nomination soon.  Make your call as soon as possible!  Thanks so
much for your help!

Liz Godfrey
GREEN Northland Organizer
Endangered Species Coalition