E-M:/ Roses are red, violets are blue. . .

Enviro-Mich message from "Liz Godfrey" <lizgodfrey@prodigy.net>

The ESA may be under attack
And it needs you!

Hopefully everyone made it through the Holiday Season well and enjoyed a
little rest and relaxation and time with friends and family.  Another
holiday is just around the corner and we want to share our love for
endangered species on the day of love- Valentine’s Day!  We have produced
some very cute Valentine postcards to send to Representatives and Senators
asking them to help endangered species during this session of Congress.  I
am hoping that we can illustrate to Michigan’s newest Senator, Debbie
Stabenow, that the people of Michigan are concerned about the fate of
endangered species and the Endangered Species Act.

Representative Jim Hansen (R-UT), the new Chair of the House Resources
Committee (the committee with jurisdiction over all endangered species
issues,) has said publicly to President-elect Bush and the media that one of
his top priorities is to “fix” the ESA this year.  Representative Hansen’s
idea of “fix” is to gut the Act, but maintain the name as a figurehead.
We want to make sure that if it is “fixed,” it gets done correctly and that
no imperilled species is lost because of that.

Please respond as soon as possible with your interest and number of
postcards that you think you can get your friends and colleagues to sign and
send by Valentine’s Day.  Everybody likes to get Valentines!

Thank you so much for any help you can lend!  If you have any questions,
please feel free to contact me.

Liz Godfrey
GREEN Northland Organizer
Endangered Species Coalition