Re: E-M:/ Romulus deepwells hearing

Enviro-Mich message from "Julie Griess" <jgriess@provide.net>

I personally have not written to support these threats. My main concern is
that the DEQ's actions are a threat to the people of Romulus. I've been
thinking about it since Wednesday, and I have concluded that this is not
just a matter of a decision within the process allowed by the state. I
believe that the DEQ is out of control and acting illegally. They made false
statements about the evidence that was presented to the Site Review Board in
order to override its decision. The citizens noticed these lies, and were
mad.

I have been to quite a  lot of DEQ hearings, and I have never seen the
corporation fail to get what it wants. Sometimes an additional condition is
placed on a permit, but everyone knows the DEQ has no intention of enforcing
it, just like they don't enforce their existing regulations. They must think
that the citizens are really stupid not to know this (just like the head of
EDS who said that the deepwell opponents are just housewives who can't
understand the technology!)

I believe the threats are a result of other people also viewing the DEQ as
illegal;  thus they can't work within the process to protect themselves.
This is already a real tragedy. I also do not think highly of people who
earn their living working for an illegal organization - I think they have
some responsibility. DEQ employees may call themselves civil servants, but
they just have a job for pay like anyone else unless they show some
commitment to the citizens. They should at least be creating an uproar from
within, or else look for a more honest type of employment.