Re: E-M:/ Chopping down trees in Flint

Enviro-Mich message from "TONY DEFALCO" <DEFALCO@nwf.org>

I heard the story as well. I was deeply troubled by the story because it signifies the depth of poverty in Flint. Poverty brought on by years of industrial abuse (exemplified in M. Moore's "Roger and Me") and governmental neglect in the aftermath. While "new geography" cities blossom around the technology boom, Flint and the uncountable Flints nationwide wither. I think the solution to chopping trees lies in job re-training, diversifying economies and making college educations available to all citizens free of charge. These remedies are necessary in resource-dependent economies throughout the US and require the fiscal and policy intervention of both private and public sectors. So before we rush to condemn Flint for getting out the axe, let's take those underlying forces to task for their role in Flint's arrival at this devastated place.

>>> "Jeff Surfus" <jeffsurfus@msn.com> 01/22/01 02:49PM >>>
Enviro-Mich message from "Jeff Surfus" <jeffsurfus@msn.com>

I just heard a very brief story on Michigan Public Radio this afternoon
that the powers that be in Flint are considering a wacky proposal to chop
down trees on city land and sell them for wood to help pay down the City's
deficit!  It apparently will raise $300,000, a drop in the bucket compared
to the apparent $6 million deficit.

Is this true?  Does anyone have any more details?  ...Talk about a
wrong-headed, short-sighted solution to a problem.

Jeff Surfus

İİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİ=