E-M:/ (no subject)

Enviro-Mich message from FMuckerman@aol.com

Michigan Announces Settlement With Detroit EdisonRegarding Conners Creek
Power Plant

LANSING, Mich., Jan. 23 /PRNewswire/ -- Attorney General Jennifer M. Granholm
and Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) Director Russell Harding
announced today that a settlement has been reached with Detroit Edison for
illegally restarting its coal-burning Conners Creek power plant located in
downtown Detroit.  As a result of the litigation, Detroit Edison has
converted the plant from coal to cleaner burning natural gas fuel at a cost
of approximately $10 million.  Detroit Edison will also pay $450,000 in
penalties and costs.  The settlement was approved by Federal District Court
Judge John Feikens.

The settlement concludes a three-year effort to force the utility to come
into compliance with state and federal Clean Air Act laws.  In 1998, after
about ten years of inactivity, Detroit Edison restarted its coal-burning
Conners Creek power plant.  It did so without a permit and without installing
any new pollution control equipment.

Without the extensive pollution controls required under Clean Air Act laws,
the burning of coal, common in old generation electric power plants pollutes
the air with heavy metals such as mercury, lead, cadmium, chromium, and
arsenic.  Coal combustion also sends into the air chemical pollutants such as
nitrogen oxides, sulfur dioxide, carbon monoxide, and many other chemicals
that contribute to near-surface ozone or smog.  All of these pollutants are
substantially reduced or eliminated by the conversion to natural gas.

Granholm said:  "This is a major victory in the battle to protect the air we
breathe.  The settlement protects the residents and workers located in and
around downtown Detroit and also reduces the pollutants contributed to areas
beyond the immediate area."

Granholm added:  "Our environment is enhanced, and Michigan will have an
added source of much needed electricity for our economy.  I commend Detroit
Edison for taking appropriate action and agreeing to this settlement."

Harding said:  "The requirements under the Clean Air Act are complex.  It is
critical that companies work closely with the DEQ to ensure that these
standards are met."

All Attorney General news releases may be found at www.ag.state.mi.us .

SOURCE  Michigan Attorney General