E-M:/ ACTION ALERT! Don't let Michigan become a dumping ground

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Enviro-Mich message from Mary Beth Doyle -------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Apologies if you receive this from more than one list)

Tired of seeing our state become the dumping ground of the Midwest? Tell Lansing to deny the proposed hazardous waste deep injection well in Romulus. The public comment period ends Thursday, Feb. 1st.

Fax/email/call in to Lansing TODAY about the proposed well that DEQ Director Russ Harding plans on approving. Please call or email RUSS HARDING and cc Steve Sliver to let them know WE DON'T WANT THIS WELL!!! Please forward this message widely.

Sample comments are below.

Russ Harding
PH: (517) 373-7917
HARDINGR@state.mi.us

Steve Sliver
slivers@state.mi.us
FAX: 517-373-4797
Phone: 517-373-1976

I urge you to deny the permit for deep well injection of hazardous wastes
sought by Environmental Disposal Systems, Inc. This proposal is unsafe,
unwarranted, and dangerous to the environment. Its approval will make
Michigan even more of a dumping ground for other states and Canada.

The Site Review Board appointed under law to consider the EDS proposal

rejected it for nine different reasons, including an unacceptable risk of
accidents and water pollution, other safety hazards, a lack of demonstrated
need for the facility, and the company's lack of proven ability to manage
these highly toxic wastes. If the DEQ overrules the Site Review Board, you
are not only exposing the public to unacceptable risks, but showing
contempt for the five months of public meetings and comments the Board

undertook.

Michigan does not need this facility. To provide business to existing

hazardous waste facilities in Michigan, we have already doubled imports

from 301,000 tons per year in 1992 to 607,000 tons per year in 1998,
according to DEQ records. Creating new capacity through this well will only
make Michigan a multi-state, international magnet for hazardous waste. This
will discourage pollution prevention and recycling of toxic wastes, and

expose our citizens to unnecessary risks.

Reject this proposal and protect Michigan's public health and environment
-- or forfeit the confidence and support of Michigan's citizens. Please
enter these comments in the public record on this permit.

Mary Beth Doyle, MPH
Environmental Health Project
Ecology Center
117 N. Division
Ann Arbor MI 48104

734-663-2400 ext 108
734-663-2414 (fax)

Postings to: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net For info, send email to majordomo@great-lakes.net with a one-line message body of "info enviro-mich" ==============================================================