E-M:/ TRU's Annual meeting, , I-375 Comment deadline, City of Detorit Planning commission meeting Feb. 1 -

1. Join us for TRU's inaugural Annual meeting.  We are pleased and honored that Mr. Richard E. Blouse Jr., CCE,  President and CEO, Detroit Regional Chamber will be our speaker.

Wednesday, January 31, 7:00 pm
Our Lady of the Rosary Church
5930 Woodward, Detroit
(N.E. corner of Woodward and I-94)

PROGRAM
-Welcome and Introductions
-TRU Accomplishments
-TRU Vision for 2001
-TRU Work Plan
-Presentation by Guest Speaker,
Mr. Richard E. Blouse Jr., CCE
President and CEO, Detroit Regional Chamber
-Special Recognition of Members
-Election of Directors
-Member input on annual dues
-Champagne Reception

2. The Comment period on I-375 Extension closes Feb. 1. TRU has been joined by 12 other metro Detroit organizations in seeking an environmental impact statement, as well as several legislators and the City of Detroit Planning Commission.

If you would like to sign on to TRU's comment letter, let me know and i will email you a copy for review. Must have Name, title and organization by noon Thrusday FEb. 1
I f you have not yet requested an Environmental Impact Statement on I-375 and a Joint Environmental Impact Statement on the I-375 and I-75 Oakland County expansion studies so that commuter rail can be fairly considered as a cheaper faster more effective alternative to highway expansion, Now is the time.
Key Points to make:

MDOTís proposed I-375 expansion project does not provide a multi-modal access solution to the East Riverfront. A full Environmental Impact Study of MDOTís proposal is required to review feasible and prudent alternatives that MDOT has refused to consider: An EIS is required because MDOTís proposal:
       fails to address mass transit in a city where 1/3 of the households donít have cars.
       obstructs pedestrian access
       eliminates the only passenger rail link to downtown
       at a cost of $72 million for 3 blocks, is the most expensive alternative
       was scoped too narrowly
       misses the opportunity to recover land for development.
       ignores additional $140 million for local streets and high rise parking on the river front
       worsens air pollution and ignores environmental justice concerns
       is as likely to increase congestion as to relieve it

Comments should be sent to:
Jose A. Lopez,  Public Hearings Officer
Bureau of Transportation Planning
Michigan Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 30050
Lansing, MI 48909
(517) 373-9534
Fax:     (517) 373-9255
e-mail:  lopezjos@mdot.state.mi.us

James J. Steele
Division Administrator
Federal Highway Administration
315 West Allegan Street, Room 211
Lansing, MI 48933
(517) 377-1844  x55
Fax:      (517) 377-1804
e-mail:  james.steele@fhwa.dot.gov

3. City for Detroit Planning Commission Meeting  5 pm Thursday, February. 1, 2001
Further Discussion on Mass Transit Alternatives; representatives of Michigan Department of Transportation, and Dr. Dietrich Bergmann of Michigan Association of Rail Passengers.

On Jan 18,  The City Planning Commission unanimously passed a resolution supporting a joint Environmental Impact Statement on the I-375 extension in Detroit and I-75 expansion plans in Oakland County to assess the relative benefits of establishing Commuter Rail in that Corridor.  The discussion on the agenda is a follow-up to that resolution. Members of the public are welcome to attend.
Karen D. Kendrick-Hands
Air Policy Director,
East Michigan Environmental Action Council
Transportation Riders United
1067 Devonshire Road
Grosse Pointe Park, MI 48230
313.885.7588, fax 313.885.7883
kdkhands@voyager.net
Check out TRU's web page at http://www.marp.org/tru.htm
Try the Motranzit site, too - http://www.hometown.aol.com/motranzit
Also check out www.transitdetroit.freeservers.com &
http://www.detroitmasstransit.com/
If you don't ask the right questions, you will never get to the right answers . . .