E-M:/ MEC response to Governor's State of the State

Enviro-Mich message from James Clift <jamesmec@voyager.net>

In the State of the State address given by Governor Engler last night
the Michigan Environmental Council was mentioned as being a vital
partner in crafting a new Land Conservation Plat Act, however; the
Governor’s indication that MEC is supporting the legislation as proposed
is not entirely accurate.

MEC has been actively involved in the discussions on the proposed act,
provided feedback on early drafts and worked closely with the groups
mentioned in the Governors speech. We support the Governor’s stated
goal, that this legislation would be “creating incentives to preserve
open space with existing natural features like wetlands and woods while
more intensively using less acreage to develop family-friendly
neighborhoods.”

Currently, the MEC has remaining concerns including the preemption of
local control and zoning, definition of certain terms, and the formula
used to provide credits that create the greater density, which the
Governor failed to mention. We are still actively working to create
solutions that address the concerns of all the involved parties. The
process thus far has been extraordinarily beneficial to the
relationships between the environmental and development communities.

The MEC and concerned member groups are preparing written comment to be
submitted to the Governor, the Realtors Association and other interested
parties. We look forward to working with all the concerned interest
groups in crafting a final proposal that will meet the stated goals.
This information will be available on our website: www.mecprotects.org .
We encourage others to review the proposal and share their thoughts.

Prepared by:

James Clift, Policy Director
Michigan Environmental Council
119 Pere Marquette, Ste 2A