E-M:/ And while we're on Surveys...Here's an Important 1999 Water Survey to Know About

Enviro-Mich message from joonmck <joonmck@gateway.net>

Dear EMers,

And while we're at it... For those of you who were not aware of it, in
1999 the National Environmental Education & Training Foundation (NEETF)
published its' 1999 National Report Card on Safe Drinking Water
Knowledge, Attitudes and Behaviors."

See it at:

http://www.neetf.org/reportcard/index.htm

You can learn ditties like:

 24% of those surveyed (representing some 65 million people) report
that they do not drink water straight from the tap for reasons of taste,
smell or health and environmental concerns.

 Sixty-five percent (65%) of all people either boil their tap water
before drinking it, filter it, or use bottled water in the home.  The
average person has between two and three reasons for doing this-for 69%
the main reason for not cooking with or drinking tap water is the taste,
smell or color; for 49% it is stories in the news about water pollution;
and for 41% it is the convenience of bottled water.

 Two groups that do not seem to have as much of a credibility gap are
medical professionals and nonprofit environmental organizations.
Thirty-three percent (33%) of Americans say medical professionals, such
as doctors, are very believable (the highest score of any subgroup), and
36% say they are somewhat believable.

 Environmental and public interest groups have a 72% total
believability rating (with 19% saying they are very believable).  This
being the case, health professionals and environmental organizations
need to be better educated on the subject of tap water quality.

Yours,

Brian McKenna
Environmentalist &
Anthropologist

"If there are connections everywhere, why do we persist in turning
dynamic, interconnected phenomena into static, disconnected things?"
         -- Eric R. Wolf, Anthropologist (1923-1999)