E-M:/ Acres of (Environmental) Diamonds in Our Own Backyard

Enviro-Mich message from joonmck <joonmck@gateway.net>

Dear EMers,

Russell Conwell, the Baptist minister who founded Temple University, my
alma mater, is known for his famous "Acres of Diamonds" speech. The
wonderful text, which I encourage all of you to read (via the Temple
website), basically tell graduates to go out into the world, find a
partner, build a life and do good. The comes the ZINGER! "BUT!" he
relates (metaphorically), be aware of the fellow who searched the world
over for a serene and satisfying life, who didn't realize, until coming
home to Philadelphia later in life, that the ingredients for a happy
life were right there all along.

And so, for you Michiganders, I encourage you to mine the diamonds at
Jim Detjens' marvelous environmental journalism website. Detjen, who
happened to build his career in Philly at the Inquirer (hi Jim), was
transplanted here into East Lansing for the past few years where he's
built an internationally renowned diamond that all of us can enjoy and
learn from: MSU's School of Environmental Journalism.

If you need to find more data sources/links/models for writing your own
stuff, you can do little better than checking out their site. I
encourage you to glance around his website, beginning with this URL:

http://environmental.jrn.msu.edu/Resource.htm

In Solidarity,

Brian McKenna, Ph.D.
Environmentalist &
Anthropologist

Thank you.

In Solidarity,

Brian McKenna, Ph.D.
Environmentalist &

"Insanity in individuals is rare, in nations, epochs
and eras it is the rule."
         -- Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, Philosopher (1844 - 1900)